Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An animal whose fur is valued commercially.
- ‘The furbearers around this area are quite seriously hunted, trapped and senselessly killed.’
- ‘A person shall not take small game or furbearers by hunting except during the times specified in this section.’
- ‘Since muskrats are furbearers and are protected by wildlife laws, the recommended method of control is to trap them heavily during the legal trapping season.’
- ‘Mississippi game laws designate which species are classified as furbearer and which as game animal.’
- ‘Snaring also is popular for harvesting surplus furbearers, one of our renewable natural resources.’
- ‘State statutes also ensure the humane euthanasia of furbearers, since they are not food animals.’
- ‘To date, 32 traps and modifications have been field tested on nine species of furbearers nationwide.’
- ‘Beavers are classified as furbearers in Nebraska.’
- ‘Nothing in this regulation prevents the killing of furbearers actually found destroying livestock or poultry.’
- ‘He is talking about people in mid-20th century harvesting a substantial part of their sustenance and livelihood from fish, game and furbearers.’
- ‘The middle occupation yielded cod, beaver and sturgeon; as well, smaller amounts of deer, moose, seals, walrus, waterfowl, small furbearers, and swordfish were also identified.’
- ‘Coyote can be hunted at night during the period specified in the furbearers seasons and bag limits chart.’
- ‘There are eleven furbearer species that are currently managed and trapped in Newfoundland and Labrador.’
- ‘The trapping of furbearers also played a vital role in the colonization of North America by European settlers.’
- ‘‘We thought these guys were spending too much time at the bars,’ said Ron Andrews, furbearer resource specialist.’
- ‘In an authoritative and factual manner this work examines all aspects of the biology and management of North American furbearers.’
- ‘Goals of furbearer management combine to encourage a proper balance of all wildlife species.’
- ‘A person who has obtained the appropriate license and permit may transport green pelts of furbearers.’
- ‘Fortunately, good sense intervened and I eventually got an education, but my fascination with furbearers, trappers and the trapping lifestyle has never waned.’
- ‘Many land companies began to lease sections of the marshes to individuals with exclusive rights to hunt, harvest alligators, and trap abundant muskrats and other furbearers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.