One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gregarious eared seal that frequents the coasts of the Pacific and southern oceans, the male of which is substantially larger than the female. The thick fur on the underside is used commercially as sealskin.
- ‘It's home to the threatened southern elephant seal, the fur seal, two species of albatross and several species of, yes, penguin.’
- ‘Living in Cape Town I am lucky to have white sharks, southern right whales, Cape fur seals, and African penguins on my doorstep.’
- ‘I was particularly pleased to have seen some species of wildlife that do not venture as far north as the Falklands, such as the Antarctic fur seal and wandering albatross.’
- ‘The biggest fight we observed was between a male fur seal and a male penguin.’
- ‘Within a hundred years, industrial hunters and fishermen devastated the populations of sea otters, fur seals and whales.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.