One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rotating funnel-shaped cloud forming the core of a tornado or waterspout.
- ‘On Friday, June 9, several residents spotted a funnel cloud forming northwest of Fairview.’
- ‘Forecaster Chris Rees, from PA Weather, said it sounded as though a funnel cloud or a mini tornado had hit the town.’
- ‘Just like a funnel cloud, the clouds were moving quickly in a circular pattern around the entire city while the thunder continued to roar loudly.’
- ‘The family is scurrying for shelter while a towering funnel cloud advances relentlessly toward their home.’
- ‘Diane had picked up Shannon from school just before the twister touched down in a park a block away and she had vainly tried to outrun the howling funnel cloud.’
- ‘A light gray funnel cloud was extending down, at a rate of about twenty feet a second.’
- ‘Suddenly, ahead was a black funnel cloud heading towards my car.’
- ‘This funnel cloud developed in Clayton, N.M., well outside of ‘Tornado Alley.’’
- ‘The twister or funnel cloud was spotted at around 4pm yesterday as a torrential downpour rained on the town.’
- ‘Thirty-three years ago, a misty funnel cloud opened up over Antarctica.’
- ‘The soldiers looked up and watched a large funnel cloud appear in the sky.’
- ‘This storm, incidentally, produced both a small funnel cloud and nickel-sized hail.’
- ‘Squire added: ‘County officials are beginning to obtain information on the scope and severity of injuries inflicted when the funnel cloud touched down early yesterday morning.’’
- ‘The funnel cloud associated with most tornadoes results from moisture condensing out of humid air as the vortex accelerates and the air pressure inside drops.’
- ‘The weather we have seen over the last few days is conducive to a tornado, or a funnel cloud as we call them, and we had one near Halton on Monday as well.’
- ‘So when she encountered her first funnel cloud in the midst of a bike ride in 1998, the professional athlete wasn't content ducking into a ditch.’
- ‘Environment Canada was criticized for issuing a tornado warning only after someone reported seeing a funnel cloud touch down.’
- ‘Then you see it for the first time, a nice formed funnel cloud coming down ready to rip, twist, and destroy anything.’
- ‘I was twelve and I rode on the back of a big boy's bicycle flat into a funnel cloud that picked us up and threw us clean into the ditch.’
- ‘Another funnel cloud, this one larger, and more powerful, heading towards me, Josh, and the kid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.