One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of spiders that build a funnel-shaped web.
- ‘From the great white shark to the deadly funnel-web spider, the show is the stuff of nightmares for the sensitive visitor.’
- ‘Aggressive house spiders and other funnel-web spiders make these flat webs in shrubbery, basement window wells, wood piles, and voids under concrete.’
- ‘The Blue Mountains funnel-web spider is not the only source of insect-specific neurotoxins.’
- ‘Species of Hololena and several other funnel-web spiders are common house invaders in eastern Washington.’
- ‘At dinner we talked, as Aussies and visitors so often do, about crocodiles, snakes, sharks, and funnel-web spiders.’
- ‘This is the first report of funnel-web spider bites occurring in this region of Queensland.’
- ‘Our funnel-web spiders are among the most dangerous in the world.’
- ‘Surprisingly, virtually all domesticated animals are naturally immune to funnel-web spider venoms.’
- ‘Dry daytime surface conditions will dehydrate funnel-web spiders and also expose them to birds and lizards.’
- ‘All toxins from Australian funnel-web spiders are referred to by the generic name atracotoxin as all of these spiders, regardless of genus, belong to the Atracinae subfamily.’
- ‘Sydney funnel-web spiders aren't as dangerous as their northern cousins, but live in a more populated area.’
- ‘The funnel-web spider program at the Park depends largely upon the provision of male specimens from the area within 150 km of Sydney.’
- ‘All species of funnel-web spiders should be regarded as potentially dangerous and capable of causing severe illness, although only the male Sydney funnel-web is known to have caused deaths.’
- ‘Australia's most notorious spider, the Sydney funnel-web spider, has not been known to cause any deaths since 1980.’
- ‘Those Australian funnel-web spiders that can kill a child within 15 minutes.’
- ‘An evolutionary biologist at East Carolina University specializes in trapdoor and funnel-web spiders, and tarantulas.’
- ‘A systematic review of data identified 198 cases in which potential funnel-web spider bites were documented.’
- ‘He was only 2 years old when he was bitten by a Sydney funnel-web spider but his death earned him his place in history as the last Australian to die from a bite of this deadly arachnid.’
- ‘The Sydney Funnel-web Spider is one of 36 species of funnel-web spiders in Australia.’
- ‘Since Australian funnel-web spiders can live for more than five years in captivity, a small group of these spiders yields plenty of toxins for King's chemical analysis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.