Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of spiders that build a funnel-shaped web, in particular.
- ‘Aggressive house spiders and other funnel-web spiders make these flat webs in shrubbery, basement window wells, wood piles, and voids under concrete.’
- ‘Australia's most notorious spider, the Sydney funnel-web spider, has not been known to cause any deaths since 1980.’
- ‘This is the first report of funnel-web spider bites occurring in this region of Queensland.’
- ‘Our funnel-web spiders are among the most dangerous in the world.’
- ‘The Blue Mountains funnel-web spider is not the only source of insect-specific neurotoxins.’
- ‘He was only 2 years old when he was bitten by a Sydney funnel-web spider but his death earned him his place in history as the last Australian to die from a bite of this deadly arachnid.’
- ‘The Sydney Funnel-web Spider is one of 36 species of funnel-web spiders in Australia.’
- ‘All toxins from Australian funnel-web spiders are referred to by the generic name atracotoxin as all of these spiders, regardless of genus, belong to the Atracinae subfamily.’
- ‘The funnel-web spider program at the Park depends largely upon the provision of male specimens from the area within 150 km of Sydney.’
- ‘Since Australian funnel-web spiders can live for more than five years in captivity, a small group of these spiders yields plenty of toxins for King's chemical analysis.’
- ‘Surprisingly, virtually all domesticated animals are naturally immune to funnel-web spider venoms.’
- ‘Dry daytime surface conditions will dehydrate funnel-web spiders and also expose them to birds and lizards.’
- ‘Sydney funnel-web spiders aren't as dangerous as their northern cousins, but live in a more populated area.’
- ‘Species of Hololena and several other funnel-web spiders are common house invaders in eastern Washington.’
- ‘At dinner we talked, as Aussies and visitors so often do, about crocodiles, snakes, sharks, and funnel-web spiders.’
- ‘An evolutionary biologist at East Carolina University specializes in trapdoor and funnel-web spiders, and tarantulas.’
- ‘A systematic review of data identified 198 cases in which potential funnel-web spider bites were documented.’
- ‘Those Australian funnel-web spiders that can kill a child within 15 minutes.’
- ‘All species of funnel-web spiders should be regarded as potentially dangerous and capable of causing severe illness, although only the male Sydney funnel-web is known to have caused deaths.’
- ‘From the great white shark to the deadly funnel-web spider, the show is the stuff of nightmares for the sensitive visitor.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.