Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a type of dance music which combines soul and funk with elements derived from rock.
- ‘In the funkadelic era between the flower power '60s and the electronic '80s, there lived a renaissance man by the name of Glen Larson.’
- ‘That's right, it's also the conceptual common denominator to this amusement-park ride through fast-forward, funkadelic foolishness.’
- ‘The festival itself was perfectly pleasant: an earnest singer-songwriter and tightly harmonious acoustic guitar group preceding Saxman's funkadelic band.’
- ‘Granted, nothing here is outright funkadelic, but there are too many break-beats and warped instrumental passages to pretend this is a traditional rock album.’
- ‘Dude's clean-cut image is long gone now that he's rocking a powder blue headband and some funkadelic cornrows…’
- ‘The irony here of course is that the funkadelic Cali-flava'd beats aren't that hardcore.’
- ‘This funkadelic scoring machine totally lacks in offcourt arrogance and, instead of ‘knowing everything better’ like so many of his less-gifted peers, hangs on the coach's every word like it's manna from hoop-heaven.’
- ‘With his funkadelic style and phat, chopped-up beats, it's easy to see why Krafty was voted Best International Artist (over Sasha and Digweed) in the 2002 round of the Australian Dance Music Awards.’
- ‘‘I want a funkadelic burger with a groovy smoothie, my sister’ he replied’
- ‘In 1983, he released Pride, which contained the funkadelic You Are In My System, gaining him a bit of popularity.’
- ‘I went to a rather funkadelic awareness-raising concert in Dakar.’
1970s: from Funkadelic, the name of a group formed in the late 1960s, from funk + psychedelic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.