One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A bundle of nerve fibers enclosed in a sheath of connective tissue, or forming one of the main tracts of white matter in the spinal cord.
- ‘Chronic inflammation reaction and foreign body reaction in the spermatic funiculus was observed in 100% of the animals.’
- ‘By 45 days of age, dorsal funiculi of irradiated spinal cords are well populated with fibres myelinated by oligodendrocytes and Schwann cells.’
- ‘Bladder sensation is transmitted both via the spinothalamic tract coursing in the lateral funiculus and the dorsal system in the dorsal funiculus.’
- ‘The fully penetrant malformation involved a dorsolateral extension of cells in the dorsal horns into the region normally occupied by the overlying nerve tracts and ectopic cells scattered throughout the dorsal funiculus.’
- ‘The ventral gray horn is separated from the surface of the spinal cord by the lateral portion of the anterior funiculus.’
- ‘In the uppermost portion of this photograph, the pia mater has been removed to display the tracts of the posterior funiculi (gracilis and cuneatus).’
- ‘As the posterior funiculus is not involved in the section, discriminative touch and proprioception remain intact.’
- 1.1another term for funicle
- ‘Each growing ovule is seen attached to the pod wall via a funiculus, and the ovule has initiated a curved and bent orientation.’
- ‘In the developing siliques of stressed plants, high levels of expression were observed in the receptacles and funiculus.’
- ‘The hilum is a scar formed when the funiculus detaches from the seed at maturity.’
- ‘Pollen tubes then exit the site of intercellular growth at the base of the funiculus where they continue to grow within the ovary locule along the adaxial carpel surface to finally enter the ovule micropyle.’
- ‘These nutrients enter the seed through a single vascular bundle in the funiculus that extends into the seed coat as the chalazal vein and its two lateral branches.’
- ‘The outer layer of a fresh lobster egg shows the remains of the funiculus that once attached it to the female.’
- ‘The force of ejection causes that portion of the funiculus called the ‘purse’ to burst and release the funicular cord and hapteron.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin, diminutive of funis ‘rope’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.