Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A slender and delicate fly whose larvae feed chiefly on fungi.
- ‘The hunter fly's soil-dwelling larvae are also predatory, feeding mainly on larvae of other insects, including fungus gnats.’
- ‘From the protective stalks of lacewing eggs to the amazing hanging threads of New Zealand's fungus gnats, invertebrates use it in a huge range of ways.’
- ‘If a cloud of tiny flies billow out from a plant as you touch or walk past it, then you've got fungus gnats.’
- ‘Almost immediately they become infested with fungus gnats (sciarid flies) which eat all the mushrooms before they form.’
- ‘This predatory mite should be applied to the crop before fungus gnats begin to build up significantly.’
- ‘High moisture levels encourage fungus gnats, as do potting mixes with high levels of organic matter.’
- ‘Not only will controlling your watering help to prevent fungus gnats, it will prevent the second most common problem, damping-off.’
- ‘The immature fungus gnat lives in the soil and are white, translucent larvae with shiny black heads.’
- ‘Three new introduced species of fungus gnats (small flies) were recorded in suburban gardens.’
- ‘The family appears to be a member of the extant group Sciaroidea, which includes fungus gnats and gall midges, though precise relationships remain unclear.’
- ‘Tears or openings in the bags enable resident fungus gnat populations to gain entry into the media bags.’
- ‘Take care not to overwater your plants, as fungus gnats require a moist environment to feed and breed.’
- ‘Another nematode, Steinernema carpocapsae, is now on the market for fungus gnat control in greenhouses.’
- ‘Douglas, thank you for taking the time to explain all about fungus gnats and how to get rid of them.’
- ‘As with any pest, fungus gnat and shore fly control programs are built on prevention and monitoring.’
- ‘Although it is the larvae of fungus gnats which damage seedlings, adults are most conspicuous.’
- ‘This time I've planted them in vermiculite which is completely soil free and hence should not attract the dratted fungus gnats.’
- ‘They're being eaten by the larvae of the fungus gnat.’
- ‘Correcting a moisture problem and cleaning the area should eliminate the fungus gnats fairly quickly.’
- ‘Keeping the kits under your sink usually results in fungus gnats.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.