One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A fly ball hit for fielding practice.
- ‘What if instead of the traditional coach hitting fungos to the outfield a new device is created that helps a fielder increase the area they cover in the field?’
- ‘If that is working on your hitting, than Pedroia taking fungoes before the game is working on your fielding.’
- ‘When it was my turn to hit fungoes, I managed to injure myself and I still am not sure how.’
- ‘During practice the team took a plethora of fungoes and got plenty of hacks, which prepared them for their three scrimmages.’
- ‘It was partly because Jones took a half an hour of extra work in the morning, chasing fungo fly balls hit to the wall by outfield coach Mike Goff.’
- ‘My father loved to hit fungo flies to kids.’
- ‘Batters standing in regular baseball playing field batters’ boxes put baseballs in play by hitting fungoes, preferably using fungo style bats.’
- ‘A writer in Scientific American in 1915 advised players not to hit fungo flies during pregame practice because it would lead to hitting flies during the game.’
- ‘Usually 2 outfielders will take fungo fly balls while the others play the batted balls.’
- 1.1 A long lightweight bat for hitting practice balls to fielders.
- ‘Our infield and outfield fungoes are turned from solid, high quality, northern white ash.’
- ‘All fungo bats are available in any color and style.’
- ‘We have everything from the fungo bats you need to work with the fielders to the short bats for one hand drills and an durable maple bat for BP.’
- ‘Available in four colors, our fungo bat is specifically designed to hit a tossed ball for practice and pre-game drills.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.