Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or caused by a fungus or fungi.‘fungal diseases such as mildew’
- ‘Starch disappeared prior to actual fungal penetration of the tubercles.’
- ‘By contrast, the fungal cells of the sheath and the Hartig net were less susceptible to freezing artefacts.’
- ‘One to two days after fungal mycelia reached the plant stem, all leaves were collected for RNA extractions.’
- ‘Check stored bulbs and corms for frost damage, fungal disease and attacks by rodents.’
- ‘Check stored bulbs and corms for fungal diseases and damage by rodents.’
- ‘Also, lime addition, by increasing pH, has been shown to stimulate mycorrhizal fungal abundance.’
- ‘This reduction in total germination percentage was accompanied by a higher rate of fungal growth in primed seeds.’
- ‘This spray will also help control other fungal diseases such as shot hole and brown rot.’
- ‘There are reports of exposure to fungal elicitors leading to extracellular alkalization in plant cell cultures.’
- ‘The species of fungus and number of fungal species isolated seemed to affect the risk of death.’
- ‘Apple scab is a fungal disease that causes black splotches on leaves and fruit.’
- ‘Rice blast is a fungal disease which is currently the leading cause of rice loss.’
- ‘Uvitex 2B stain is an optical brightener that specifically binds to the chitin of fungal cell walls.’
- ‘It should have been under cover from the end of November, but hopefully the leaf curl fungal spores aren't active yet.’
- ‘Samples of plants in the field were found to be suffering from another fungal disease, Rhizoctonia.’
- ‘Beetle grazing can induce resistance against fungal infections in Rumex obtusifolius.’
- ‘It is clear that the subtleties of plant and fungal sphingolipid desaturation are only starting to be unravelled.’
- ‘Some authors suggest that the plant defence response plays a role in its control over the development of the fungal symbionts.’
- ‘If plum trees are pruned at the wrong time of year, they are often attacked by silver leaf, a serious fungal disease.’
- ‘This is rarer and is usually caused by weeds such as nettles and docks, late flowering plants and fungal spores.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.