One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fundamentalist, especially a Christian fundamentalist.
- ‘I was going to talk about homosexuality from both the fundie and the liberal Christian angle, but changed my mind.’
- ‘Fundies are fundies, no matter which side of the table you're on.’
- ‘All of this is just another example of fundies shoving their views of right and wrong on everyone else.’
- ‘The ‘Christianity’ promoted by the fundies on the right excludes blacks as well as Jews.’
- ‘The fundies would rather get nothing than settle for less than 100% of their ask.’
- ‘Come on, you fundies, you've got your smoking gun!’
- ‘When Muslims challenge the fundies in their ranks, like Christians do theirs, we need to support them.’
- ‘We've got hay, wool and lamb buyers and sellers all lined up and the sane are beginning to recognize the fundies for what they are.’
- ‘In effect, Raspberry and Wooden agree that the problem with civic progress in the United States is those mean old fundies.’
- ‘By playing along with the fundies, and treating marriage as a vital, valid topic for political discussion, we waste our own limited resources and play a game we can never win.’
- ‘And here's where the fundies fundamentally disagree.’
- ‘That includes doing more to separate church and state in Britain while the religious fundies are relatively weak.’
- ‘‘Love the sinner, hate the sin,’ say some of the fundies.’
- ‘By Christmas, every fundie in the country will have a copy.’
- ‘His heliocentric model resulted in troubling the religious fundies so much that he died finally under house arrest.’
- ‘If you want our respect, you have to speak out against the fundies first.’
- ‘If fundies are hostile to Jews, how to explain the widespread support given Israel throughout the Bible-belt states?’
- ‘Mary does what God tells her, because she had internalized all of the things that her fellow fundies had said over and over.’
- ‘Every religion has its fundies, people who believe that they are the blessed ones and everyone else is an unbeliever, unworthy.’
- ‘Compared to some other loopy Christian fundie groups, I don't mind them (the mainstream guys, not this off-shoot).’
1980s: from German, abbreviation of Fundamentalist ‘fundamentalist’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.