The tone that represents the fundamental frequency of a vibrating object such as a string or bell.
- ‘The overtones, with their compound, irregular vibrations, give a fundamental tone a certain character or ‘clang-tint.’’
- ‘Oscillations with this wavelength produce a characteristic note, like the fundamental tone of a musical instrument.’
- ‘Such freedom of movement of a fundamental tone is specific to advanced written music of European origin, and in any case creates problems for the acoustic design of public buildings.’
- ‘Only the fundamental tone gives the actual musical pitch.’
- ‘We rarely hear a pure fundamental tone either in music or in nature.’