One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The lowest frequency which is produced by the oscillation of the whole of an object, as distinct from the harmonics of higher frequency.
- ‘A typical syllable of song type ‘A’ has a well-pronounced fundamental frequency and several harmonics.’
- ‘It was gratifying to see that the lowest fundamental frequency (resonant frequency) predicted by their model was in good agreement with our observed 3 Hz tail beat frequency preferred by tadpoles of the same size and species.’
- ‘Those harmonics allow for better contrast to tissue, which scatters sound at mainly the fundamental frequency.’
- ‘In the premonsoon season, dominant frequencies, fundamental frequencies, maximum frequencies, and syllable lengths differed between colonies.’
- ‘Pitch refers to the fundamental frequency of the sound wave produced.’
- ‘One important contribution of synchrony coding is that it enables a listener to extract voice properties such as the fundamental frequency and harmonic structure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.