Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The lowest frequency which is produced by the oscillation of the whole of an object, as distinct from the harmonics of higher frequency.
- ‘It was gratifying to see that the lowest fundamental frequency (resonant frequency) predicted by their model was in good agreement with our observed 3 Hz tail beat frequency preferred by tadpoles of the same size and species.’
- ‘A typical syllable of song type ‘A’ has a well-pronounced fundamental frequency and several harmonics.’
- ‘Pitch refers to the fundamental frequency of the sound wave produced.’
- ‘One important contribution of synchrony coding is that it enables a listener to extract voice properties such as the fundamental frequency and harmonic structure.’
- ‘In the premonsoon season, dominant frequencies, fundamental frequencies, maximum frequencies, and syllable lengths differed between colonies.’
- ‘Those harmonics allow for better contrast to tissue, which scatters sound at mainly the fundamental frequency.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.