Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The lowest frequency produced by the oscillation of the whole of an object, as distinct from the harmonics of higher frequency.
- ‘In the premonsoon season, dominant frequencies, fundamental frequencies, maximum frequencies, and syllable lengths differed between colonies.’
- ‘Those harmonics allow for better contrast to tissue, which scatters sound at mainly the fundamental frequency.’
- ‘One important contribution of synchrony coding is that it enables a listener to extract voice properties such as the fundamental frequency and harmonic structure.’
- ‘A typical syllable of song type ‘A’ has a well-pronounced fundamental frequency and several harmonics.’
- ‘Pitch refers to the fundamental frequency of the sound wave produced.’
- ‘It was gratifying to see that the lowest fundamental frequency (resonant frequency) predicted by their model was in good agreement with our observed 3 Hz tail beat frequency preferred by tadpoles of the same size and species.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.