One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An employee or department of a large institution (such as a bank, pension fund, or insurance company) that manages the investment of money on its own behalf or on that of an outside client.
- ‘The financial intermediary receives a fee, the institution receives a fee and the wrap fund manager receives a fee.’
- ‘The fund manager reckons that these investment vehicles have a coherent overall asset allocation strategy.’
- ‘Anyone who has invested in a unit trust or a pension fund knows that his fund manager is not answerable in any meaningful sense.’
- ‘This means less money is invested in markets or asset classes, which the fund manager believes will return more money.’
- ‘It is up to the fund manager to decide where to invest the money but, at any time, you can see the value of your investment and get it out.’
- ‘You can be fairly sure that your fund manager is not going to make that money back in a year and you'll be lucky if he or she makes it back in less than five years.’
- ‘These are similar to unit trusts, except that the fund manager invests in various short-term deposits rather than shares.’
- ‘For example, in order to put money into the stock market, most people invest via a fund manager.’
- ‘However good your pension fund manager, his ability to outperform the indices is limited.’
- ‘The investment vehicles range in structure, and investments depend on the fund manager.’
- ‘You don't want to be getting too excited about an institution buying shares when the fund manager is actually making a small side bet!’
- ‘Legendary fund manager Peter Lynch once said some of his best investing ideas came from listening to his wife after her shopping trips!’
- ‘But try telling that to a venture capitalist or a pension fund manager today.’
- ‘You invest your money, which the fund manager uses to buy and sell the investments of his or her choice.’
- ‘In other words, they hand over their money to a fund manager, who then pools together contributions and decides which shares to buy and sell.’
- ‘Performance may slip as the fund manager attempts to find new investments with the new influx of cash.’
- ‘Look for a good range of funds and a fund manager with a good reputation for sound investment performance.’
- ‘Is the fund manager taking too much investment risk on a day-to-day basis to come up with these returns?’
- ‘These funds are pooled and invested by a fund manager in a portfolio of general Australian equities.’
- ‘Nevertheless, many investors are taken in by the legend of the star fund manager.’
fund manager/fənd ˈmanijər/
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.