One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person whose level of ability to read and write is below that needed to do the ordinary tasks required to function normally in society.
- ‘There are billions of full illiterates or functional illiterates on the planet.’
- ‘Are you proud that 40 million adult Americans are functional illiterates?’
- ‘The basic skills of functional illiterates do not reach beyond the fourth grade.’
- ‘Hundreds of millions of dollars have been poured into research on reading, but we have more functional illiterates than ever before in the history of this nation.’
- ‘The objective of this project is to create an index that could quantify the number of functional illiterates in the country.’
- ‘It is a national scandal that so many students in urban public schools are functional illiterates.’
- ‘No longer could Texas afford an educational system that produced a large number of functional illiterates and citizens with limited scientific knowledge, technological know-how, and language skills.’
- ‘Nearly half of the 4.5 million functional illiterates identified in the survey are 55 or older, even though this group only accounts for 29 per cent of the total population;’
- ‘Fortunately for us right now, Russia has even more such functional illiterates than we do.’
- ‘As a result, 41 per cent of the functional illiterates were unemployed and probably stood little chance of finding jobs in the future, given the increasing use of technology at the workplace.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.