Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A button on a computer keyboard, distinct from the main alphanumeric keys, to which software can assign a particular function.
- ‘By simply hitting a function key, users could obtain advice on how to complete selected pre-award forms or could view examples of completed forms, all through hypertext screens.’
- ‘You use the four way key to select a function, and more importantly the right function key to choose functions.’
- ‘But I haven't had any fights with the editor yet, and about all that remains is to remap the function key shortcuts in my brain.’
- ‘The game comes with a moderate amount of information including two key-maps for the keyboard and function keys, as well as a well-detailed manual with game play and vehicle information.’
- ‘You fill in the name then scroll down to the relevant field for the phone number and hit the same function key which is now reading ‘Insert’.’
- ‘Icons suited to this task present themselves at the top of the screen, with each command bound to a specific function key.’
- ‘With a complement of fully customizable function keys, the keypad is suited to nearly any purpose.’
- ‘When unsafe orders were detected, approximately nine in 10 systems allowed the user to override serious warnings, often by simply pressing a function key.’
- ‘When the system is booted up and is showing the login screen, press and hold the Ctrl-Alt keys and press the F1 function key.’
- ‘To get around that, map an unused function key to run the program.’
- ‘I'd also like to see a global function key, one that can only trigger OS level tasks, not application level tasks.’
- ‘The software takes a snapshot of all files, be it ‘registry files’ or ‘win files’ or data files and in the event of a crash it restores them in seconds at the mere touch of a function key.’
- ‘Efficiency can be served when IM service personnel have scripted answers available for the most frequently asked questions, letting them copy and paste in a response or post it by pressing a predefined function key.’
- ‘Two important toggle keys - bar lock and pad lock - switch the function keys and number keypad keys respectively, into dedicated Photoshop keys.’
- ‘Most devices have only one, but multimedia keyboards may present the normal keyboard on one interface and the multimedia function keys on a second interface.’
- ‘All of the functions are controlled with function keys.’
- ‘The function keys can also be reprogrammed to open programs or perform certain functions.’
- ‘Several of the function keys will bring up dialog boxes in which to enter data.’
- ‘The F5 function key will add all directories as groups, thus effectively listing all your albums.’
- ‘A function key at the bottom left enables the arrow keys at the bottom right to double up as volume and brightness settings.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.