Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A button on a computer keyboard, distinct from the main alphanumeric keys, to which software can assign a particular function.
- ‘Efficiency can be served when IM service personnel have scripted answers available for the most frequently asked questions, letting them copy and paste in a response or post it by pressing a predefined function key.’
- ‘Two important toggle keys - bar lock and pad lock - switch the function keys and number keypad keys respectively, into dedicated Photoshop keys.’
- ‘But I haven't had any fights with the editor yet, and about all that remains is to remap the function key shortcuts in my brain.’
- ‘You fill in the name then scroll down to the relevant field for the phone number and hit the same function key which is now reading ‘Insert’.’
- ‘Most devices have only one, but multimedia keyboards may present the normal keyboard on one interface and the multimedia function keys on a second interface.’
- ‘When the system is booted up and is showing the login screen, press and hold the Ctrl-Alt keys and press the F1 function key.’
- ‘The F5 function key will add all directories as groups, thus effectively listing all your albums.’
- ‘You use the four way key to select a function, and more importantly the right function key to choose functions.’
- ‘Icons suited to this task present themselves at the top of the screen, with each command bound to a specific function key.’
- ‘The function keys can also be reprogrammed to open programs or perform certain functions.’
- ‘To get around that, map an unused function key to run the program.’
- ‘By simply hitting a function key, users could obtain advice on how to complete selected pre-award forms or could view examples of completed forms, all through hypertext screens.’
- ‘When unsafe orders were detected, approximately nine in 10 systems allowed the user to override serious warnings, often by simply pressing a function key.’
- ‘With a complement of fully customizable function keys, the keypad is suited to nearly any purpose.’
- ‘The software takes a snapshot of all files, be it ‘registry files’ or ‘win files’ or data files and in the event of a crash it restores them in seconds at the mere touch of a function key.’
- ‘The game comes with a moderate amount of information including two key-maps for the keyboard and function keys, as well as a well-detailed manual with game play and vehicle information.’
- ‘A function key at the bottom left enables the arrow keys at the bottom right to double up as volume and brightness settings.’
- ‘I'd also like to see a global function key, one that can only trigger OS level tasks, not application level tasks.’
- ‘All of the functions are controlled with function keys.’
- ‘Several of the function keys will bring up dialog boxes in which to enter data.’
function key/ˈfəNG(k)SHən ˌkē/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.