Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A concentrated stock, especially of game or fish, used as flavoring.
- ‘A good beef stock is made with meat bones, a good fish fumet (concentrated stock) needs fish bones.’
- ‘Fish and vegetable broths are more commonly called fumets, but meat may also be used.’
- ‘The goose preserves are poached in melted fat and the bases of stocks and fumets are made in accordance with a precise scale and according to western norms.’
- ‘Add enough seafood fumet until rice is covered by about 3/4 of an inch of liquid, and stir until liquid deglazes the bits from the bottom of the pan.’
- ‘The company will export several tons of fumet of prickly pears to Taiwan.’
- ‘She still treasures homemade food - fonds and fumets - and the long, delicate preparation of cuisine cuisinee.’
- ‘Stir in the shallots and garlic, and add the fumet.’
- ‘On our menu: two starters of trio des fumets ‘Sylvestre’ and duck terrine with onion marmalade.’
- ‘Turn fillets over, add mint leaves, fish fumet and butter.’
- ‘Combine the reduced fumet, wine, pastis, and mussel liquid if using, in small heavy saucepan.’
- ‘Once the major flavor ingredients have undergone any preliminary steps such as blanching, sweating, or browning, all stocks, essences, fumets, and court bouillons are prepared the same way.’
- ‘Put the salmon into the fish kettle, cover it with the court bouillon or fumet and bring to the boil.’
- ‘Because of the emulsifying properties of lecithin, very thin sauces, such as a fish fumet can be used.’
- ‘We are looking for manufacturer who can provide a high quality red wine fumet.’
- ‘If you have more than 3 cups of fumet, place the liquid in a clean saucepan and boil until reduced to 3 cups.’
- ‘Strain and add infused liquid to the fumet.’
- ‘If the fumet is being made in advance, let it cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate it until needed.’
- ‘Producing and processing fruit fumet and concentrated fruit juice is a description of the project.’
- ‘There is an incredible fish stock, also called fumet, that is perfect for all your recipes that require a classic fish stock.’
- ‘Describe the characteristics and quality indicators for brown stock, white stock, fumets, essences, and court bouillon’
Early 18th century (in the senses smell of game and game flavor): from French, from fumer to smoke The current sense dates from the early 20th century.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.