Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sister born of the same mother and father.
- ‘I have two full sisters, Rebecca and Kate; a half-brother, Matthieu, who my dad had with his French girlfriend when he was young; and a half-brother and sister, Shane and Shuna, from my dad's first marriage.’
- ‘Bred by Donald and Mary Zuckerman in Kentucky, Kalookan Queen is a full sister to Grade 3 winner Sir Hutch and a half sister to stakes winners Klondike Strike and Cape Royale.’
- ‘A full sister of the bull ‘Sagesse Patrice’ was reserve All-Ireland Champion Heifer at the National Charolais Show in 1999 at Tullamore.’
- ‘After finding Peggy living in the southern state of Arkansas in the USA along with his full sister and three half brothers, Jakko realised just how different his life could have been if his biological mother had chosen a different option.’
- ‘The frequencies of interactions between full sisters for each behavior were not different from an expected random distribution, except in one case.’
- ‘The Grand Lodge colt is a chestnut son of the winning Bluebird mare Blue Kestrel, a full sister to stakes-placed winner Kunucu and a half sister to stakes-placed winner Difesa Indiana.’
- ‘Wendy and Waleska are full sisters and are a perfectly matched driving team.’
- ‘In contrast, of the five visitors, defined as those who did not remain on the visited nest, only two were visiting full sisters, but visitors were full sisters on their nests of origin in all cases we could determine (three of three).’
- ‘I also have a full sister to him and a half-sister, which I sold to one of my neighbours.’
- ‘Only one of these two full sisters will be sold, the other will be retained for the Silver Maple breeding program.’
- ‘She is a full sister to stakes winner Sir Hutch and half sister to stakes winners Klondike Strike and Cape Royale.’
- ‘Deborah Maidment, a niece, and Barbara Satour, a full sister of Mr Liddle, are on the 30 member Lhere Artepe Aboriginal Corporation.’
- ‘Both parents had children from previous relationships - which Bruno seems rather vague about - and he had two half-sisters and two half-brothers as well as his full sister.’
- ‘For example, the preferential treatment of full sisters over half sisters in a colony where the queen is mated with several males likely will affect colony performance and lead to decreased fitness of half sisters.’
- ‘In the case of sib-mating, the sire's gametes are imagined to be combined with an infinite number of full sisters.’
- ‘The day's sale-topping yearling was produced by the winning Ela-Mana-Mou mare Archipova, a full sister to stakes-placed Abyaan and a half sister to stakes winner Sadlers Wings.’
- ‘Females can thus pass on their own genes more effectively by helping to rear and protect full sisters (to which they are three-quarters identical) than by leaving home and producing their own offspring (only one-half identical).’
- ‘Consigned by Blackburn Farm, the six-year-old mare is a full sister to multiple graded stakes winner Graeme Hall and half sister to Grade 1 winner Harmony Lodge.’
- ‘She is out of a full sister to the champion west coast hunters, Orion, Sail Away and Whitewater.’
- ‘Four were direct progeny of the true parents (one with additional backcrosses from the true parent) and two were full sisters (from a cross of highly related inbreds) of the actual parent of the hybrid.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.