One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The tide or a river at its highest.
- ‘Again, the river may not reach full flood until late May.’
- ‘The catchment areas of the Kavango, Kwando and Zambezi rivers is equivalent to the size of Namibia, with very high rainfalls, and it is said that at full flood these rivers could fill all the dams in Namibia within an hour.’
- ‘Most homeowners in the Meadowview and Pocket communities can now obtain full flood insurance protection for about half of what they currently pay for flood insurance.’
- ‘Rivers are beyond the full flood season and their waters are running more clear.’
- ‘l On advice from the Environment Agency it was considered inappropriate to allow development in the identified flood plain without a full flood risk assessment.’
- ‘Tides that begin their inward flood during daylight can often fish poorly compared to those with the full flood tide through darkness.’
- ‘Before that, planning committees could ask for a full flood risk report, but this would only normally cover the proposed development.’
- ‘In these cases, the kinds of impacts associated with full flood control embankments will begin to be experienced.’
- ‘He suspects that the strong currents of a river in full flood caused the devastation in the Bay of Aboukir.’
- ‘Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott has vowed to return to Ryedale next year to meet with disaster-hit residents and discuss options for a full flood defence scheme.’
- ‘Record high temperatures and a forecast of more torrential rain meant large areas of North Yorkshire remained on full flood alert last night.’
- ‘It has been more than sixty years since the Sacramento has swelled to full flood.’
- ‘I imagine that, if you could fight the current and stay in one place, the anemones must deliver an awesome sight at the tide's full flood.’
- ‘We may surely suppose that, in the darkness of the full flood, some of these creatures are lifted from their pools to drift far out over the deep waters.’
- 1.1be in full floodsee flood
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.