One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brother born of the same mother and father.
- ‘Gerard Brickley will be defending his title from 2002 with a full brother of ‘Celtic Nobleman’ sired by ‘Carnkern Titan’.’
- ‘News from around the Thoroughbred world - A pair of full brothers finished a neck apart in first and second in the Michigan Breeders' Governor's Cup Handicap at Great Lakes Downs on Monday.’
- ‘The relative contribution of their performance depends on the relationship e.g. full brothers share half the genes and half brothers one quarter of the genes.’
- ‘Me'n'Stell lived with our Mom and older brother, he was Stella's full brother and my half brother.’
- ‘A full brother to stakes winner Tereshkova and a half brother to stakes winners Akabir and Book Collector, Lycius has been well received at the world's bloodstock markets.’
- ‘She has two half brothers and one full brother, a year older, who works in an office.’
- ‘She had no full brothers, although four sons were born to a concubine of her father, and they would all have been married to women whose surnames are not recorded.’
- ‘Stephen had two sisters whom he thought the world of, and I know he would have been delighted that Liam is to be raised with a full brother or sister - and that he is to be a father again.’
- ‘Plato had two full brothers, Glaucon and Adeimantus, to whom he allots parts in the Republic.’
- ‘Factions tend to reflect the matrilineal heritage, with full brothers usually comprising the more powerful factions and incorporating half-brothers into their coalitions.’
- ‘He is a full brother to stakes winner Medaille Militaire and a half brother to the stakes-winning hurdler Wahiba Sands.’
- ‘Since only one female breeds, all the new offspring are pretty much full brothers and sisters - i.e. they share half each others’ genes (on average), which is exactly the same as their own offspring would.’
- ‘His full brother is in training with Corey Cushing, while he is in training with Steve Schwartzenberger.’
- ‘Prince Abdallha, without any full brothers, still has a solid power base within the country.’
- ‘The farm is also home to Barbaro's other full brother, a yearling recently named Nicanor.’
- ‘A full brother also sold in their 2003 production sale for $11,000 and was one of their high seller.’
- ‘Two sons, not full brothers, and only one throne.’
- ‘Emperor Jones is a full brother to stakes winners Appointed One and Majlood and a half brother to champion Bakharoff and stakes winners Sum, Demonry, and Thyer.’
- ‘Former suckler farmer of the year Richard Woodmartin, Woodville Farm, Sligo bought ‘Hillcrest Romeo’ a full brother to Rudolf for €3,050.’
- ‘There, despite the furious preparations, she was able to saddle her own mount, a full brother to the now-dead steed of Fergus her brother.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.