One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a sailing ship) having three or more masts that all carry square sails.
- ‘When 34 full-rigged Tall Ships and many others reached Amsterdam after a voyage across the Atlantic at the end of the Cutty Sark Tall Ships race, HMS Exeter was moored right in the centre of the harbour.’
- ‘A vessel that has at least three masts, all of them fully square rigged is called a full-rigged ship or just a ship.’
- ‘A tattoo of a full-rigged sailing ship, with the words, ‘Homeward Bound’ is one of the most recognizable of all maritime and nautical tattoos.’
- ‘In 1900 he took his love of ships a step further and joined the full-rigged ship Grassmere and sailed in her around Cape Horn to England.’
- ‘The Danish three-masted full-rigged training ship ‘Georg Stage’ arrived in Waterford on Tuesday, June 15, and will remain berthed on the city's quays until Friday as the countdown continues to Tall Ships' Race 2005.’
- ‘The full-rigged ship was one of the Europe's most significant creations.’
- ‘The Carricks was a full-rigged ship built by J.T.Fell at Workington in June, 1867.’
- ‘Guests can also board the world's last four-masted, full-rigged ship, the ‘Falls of Clyde,’ built in Scotland in 1898.’
- ‘Another attempt at relating the expression to sailing ships has it that nine yards is somehow related to the area of canvas, but a full-rigged ship had vastly more than nine square yards of sail.’
- ‘While many maritime tattoo designs will use a ship for various reasons, there was also a specific reason for a tattoo of a full-rigged ship - sailing around Cape Horn.’
- ‘Cruise the Mediterranean in unaccustomed splendour aboard the Royal Clipper, the only square-sailed full-rigged ship in the world with five masts.’
- ‘The Dutch employed fleets of full-rigged ships of relatively large tonnage, which enabled them to undercut the freight charges of their competitors by a significant margin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.