Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of women's clothing, especially hosiery) shaped and seamed to fit the body.‘full-fashioned stockings’
- ‘In another embodiment, both the thumb mold and hand mold employ a male-female configuration wherein a male form pushes the appropriate materials into a female cavity so that a fully contoured shape is attained for the full-fashioned glove.’
- ‘When washing these fully fashioned stockings you should hand wash separately in lukewarm water with a mild detergent and lay them on a flat absorbent surface to dry.’
- ‘Competitors' snugly-fitting, full-fashioned silk stockings responded better to the post-war changes in women's dress, and made deep inroads into the sale of traditional circular knit hosiery.’
- ‘Some 300 hosiery workers had traveled by train from Reading, Pennsylvania, the heart of the country's full-fashioned hosiery industry, to challenge the premises of the silk-free fashion show.’
- ‘All fully fashioned stockings have heels knitted in them during the construction process which gives an attractive finish highlighting the ankle (as well as providing extra strength).’
- 1.1(of a knitted garment) shaped by increasing or decreasing the number of loops made along the fabric length without alteration of the stitch.
- ‘Women were issued a special page of coupons for one pair of fully fashioned silk stockings every six months.’
- ‘To find your size to wear flat fully fashioned seamed stockings measure the length of your foot.’
- ‘Steam-powered frames were developed only in the second half of the 19th cent., accompanied by other inventions such as William Cotton's patents of 1864 which made possible the knitting of fully fashioned garments.’
- ‘These single-stitch machines knit a flat web which could be widened or narrowed for ‘shirts and drawers, ladies stockings, men's half-hose, gloves, mittens, and caps, all full-fashioned.’’
- ‘Capacity on the seamfree is less than on fully fashioned hose and so delivery times are longer.’
- ‘Point and Cuban were the two main heel types in the heyday of fully fashioned nylons.’
- ‘It features a two-button placket, full-fashioned rib-knit collar with contrast tipping, set-in sleeve, rib-knit cuffs with contrast tipping and extended back length with vent hem.’
- ‘Contrary to today's mass produced ‘one-size’ stockings, fully fashioned stockings are fashioned by hand.’
- ‘Flat knitting machines are adaptable to use in the manufacture of full-fashioned garments such as stockings, underwear, or sweaters.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.