One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an animal) bred from parents of the same breed or variety; of unmixed origin.‘a large full-bred Alsatian’
pedigree, thoroughbred, full, pure-blooded, blooded, pedigreed, pure, genuineView synonyms
- ‘it is not in my power to furnish the gentleman with a full-bred ewe, as my whole stock of the full-bred ewes at present is only twenty.’
- ‘Do you want a full-bred dog?’
- ‘He's a full-bred Staffordshire Bullpit Rottweiler, and though he occasionally chews the bottom of the backdoor off, he's a harmless creature.’
- ‘If a picture wasn't going well I'd put a dog in it, always a mongrel, never one of the full-bred puppies.’
- ‘I don't know if it's a full-bred wolf but it looks like one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.