Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Oil used as fuel in an engine or furnace.
- ‘Most US power plants are fueled by coal, fuel oil, and natural gas, the only fuels available in sufficient quantities to meet the demand.’
- ‘Portable fan-forced air heaters come in models that operate on fuel oil, kerosene or propane gas.’
- ‘These run their own refineries which are geared towards production of lighter products such as gas oil and petrol, rather than fuel oil.’
- ‘More than a dozen refineries were built in the Caribbean to export residual fuel oil and other products to the United States.’
- ‘An oil slick was found in the Pacific Ocean off Kochi Prefecture on Sunday and the coast guard office in Kobe later concluded the oil is a mixture of fuel oil and engine lubricant.’
- ‘In addition to 3,140m3 of benzene, the vessel was carrying 105 tonnes of fuel oil and diesel.’
- ‘Refiners were forced to market other oil products, such as fuel oil for powering ships.’
- ‘Just ask the lady who has to wash the sweat, fuel oil, lube oil, grease, grime, dirt and smells from my uniforms.’
- ‘The common fuels burned in these appliances are natural or LP gas, fuel oil, kerosene, wood, or coal.’
- ‘The most likely methods are electrolysis or production from fossil fuels, such as natural gas or fuel oil.’
- ‘Common fuels used for this purpose are: electricity, propane, natural gas, kerosene, fuel oil, wood and wood pellets.’
- ‘Both diesel engines operate on No. 2 fuel oil, carried in two 200-gallon tanks.’
- ‘First Choice was prepared to supply oil lubricant products on credit, but not gasoline or diesel fuel oil.’
- ‘The refined products, to include gasoline, kerosene, diesel and fuel oil, are intended for Indonesian domestic consumption.’
- ‘However, the firm sees increasing benefits in making overseas investments on fuel oil and other petroleum products.’
- ‘Blades should be kept free of pitch with kerosene, fuel oil or mineral spirits.’
- ‘It also introduced a rationing program involving products such as tires, gasoline, fuel oil and sugar.’
- ‘The car bomb was believed to be made of a potent mix of dynamite, ammonium nitrate and a petroleum product such as fuel oil, a US intelligence official said in Washington.’
- ‘Next, a drilling rig drills a series of holes in the face, and a mixture of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil is pneumatically placed into the holes.’
- ‘On 16 August 1945 it removed them from petrol, fuel oil, and processed foods, and by the end of the year very few remained.’
fuel oil/ˈfyo͞o(ə)l ˌoil/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.