One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The direct introduction of fuel under pressure into the combustion units of an internal combustion engine.
- ‘The new engine employs a common-rail direct injection system with precision-controlled fuel injection pressure and injection timing along with a small high efficiency turbocharger.’
- ‘Rather, features like high pressure turbocharging and common rail fuel injection are imposing higher loads on all components, and especially the crankshaft and the combustion chamber.’
- ‘To this the students may add the options of turbocharger or supercharger, carburetor or fuel injection with electronic engine management.’
- ‘To this point, electronics have been used in spot locations in vehicles for such things as fuel injection, antilock brakes and electronic clocks.’
- ‘The excellent International-developed hydraulic-assist direct fuel injection generates as much as 26,000 psi pressure at the injector.’
- ‘The MTU 6V 199 TE20 diesel engine is fitted with direct fuel injection, an exhaust gas turbocharger, liquid cooling and electronic engine management system.’
- ‘Our direct fuel injection can be flexibly adapted to meet the varying requirements of engine builders.’
- ‘The turbocharged 6-cylinder powerplant will feature full electronic fuel injection, considered technically impossible on a diesel until only a few years ago.’
- ‘The diesel uses second-generation common rail diesel injection and incorporates computer-controlled fuel injection and high pressure directly into the combustion chamber.’
- ‘Engine efficiency is enhanced even further by an intercooler and direct fuel injection.’
- ‘Electronic control of fuel injection also enables softening of the power pulses to smooth and quiet the engine, even at idle.’
- ‘It packs a turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cyl engine with direct fuel injection and some 274 hp.’
- ‘They had no fuel injection, no independent suspension, no air bags, no antilock brakes, no nothing!’
- ‘In warm weather, engines with fuel injection and electronic ignition start easily enough to hide a worn-out battery.’
- ‘Consider a bike with shaft drive, a 6-speed gearbox, Bosch fuel injection and moderate, ride-all-day ergonomics.’
- ‘The latest engine would have 16 cylinders, multi-point fuel injection and 4 turbos, but it would be a side-valve design so you could use Model-T Ford parts on it.’
- ‘These new engines are also engineered for various technologies to be added as needed, such as displacement-on-demand and direct fuel injection.’
- ‘Mazda eventually plans to add direct fuel injection and turbocharging to the I - 4 lineup.’
- ‘The latter also features variable exhaust valve timing and sequential multi-port fuel injection, but does away with the combustion chamber trough in the center of the piston that helps stratify the air-fuel charge on the turbo engine.’
- ‘Thanks to its CDI electronic fuel injection, even the usual diesel engine sound is muted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.