Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A shrub with pendulous tubular flowers that are typically of two contrasting colors. They are native to America and New Zealand and are commonly grown as ornamentals.
- ‘The greenhouses are now stuffed full with geranimus, surfinia petunias, fuchsias and gazanias.’
- ‘Most varieties of fuchsias will tolerate temperatures down to about 25 to 28 degrees before serious damage is done.’
- ‘Items stolen have included potentilla bushes, arabis and fuchsias.’
- ‘We have perennial wallflower, fuchsias, lobelia, dahlia and sedum still blooming - the sedum looking particularly good with deep reddish brown flowers and yellowing foliage.’
- ‘Add some hardy fuchsias for their pink, red and white tubular flowers that appeal to the hummingbirds.’
- ‘Since the trailing fuchsias we're planting will be suspended, containers should be lightweight but sturdy.’
- ‘Trailing fuchsias are the most fussy about temperature, much like many humans.’
- ‘True to their name, trailing fuchsias are the most desirable for planting in suspended containers.’
- ‘Books on fuchsias have ‘blossomed’ in the past twenty years, and there is now a wide range to choose from.’
- ‘That predecessor, F. magellanica, is also the hardiest garden fuchsia that's widely grown today.’
- ‘Dan's parents gave us three old chimney pots which I plated with trailing fuchsia today.’
- ‘Do I need to protect my hardy fuchsias through the winter?’
- ‘He has also made a border featuring fuchsias, marigolds and nasturtiums.’
- ‘Geraniums, dianthus, cosmos, sweet peas and even fuchsias are also popular.’
- ‘Situate the chains or other hanging device so your fuchsias can grow around them.’
- ‘Hardy fuchsias are useful shrubs that grow in most positions and soils although deep shade will affect flowering.’
- ‘Try what excites you: blue sceavola, various ivies, lantana, coleus, verbena, fuchsia, daisies, impatiens, and roses.’
- ‘You may let plants dry a little in their dormancy during mid-winter - but do not allow your fuchsias to grow in conditions that become dry or are exposed to strong winds.’
- ‘On the cool north coast, fuchsias and geraniums gleam against the fog-washed green of redwoods and rhododendrons.’
2A vivid purplish-red color like that of the sepals of a typical fuchsia flower.
- ‘Customising your own look is also an option at Tesco, which is selling underwire and triangle bikini tops as well as deep and narrow pants and overskirts in fuchsia, purple and black.’
- ‘There was a fabulous show of colour with pink, fuchsia, cerise and many shades of green standing out.’
- ‘For your choice of cool colors, stick to traditional fall shades like brown, navy and gray, and contrast these with bright yellow, lavender, fuchsia, light green, and even purple.’
- ‘While Arts and Crafts motifs survive from the era when the house was extended by the architect Robert Lorimer, elsewhere some of the walls are daubed in fuchsia, lime green or vivid blue paint.’
- ‘Some pieces were quite feminine, in colours ranging from white and fuchsia to powder blue, and there were bouquet prints.’
- ‘The result: walls that are half exposed brick and half jaggedly broken plaster painted in bright strains of fuchsia, aqua, yellow, and blue.’
- ‘In fact, I'm quite fond of fuchsia specifically because its that sort of colour that can make ANYONE look as though they have a healthy tan.’
- ‘But if you're prone to wearing dark, conservative colours, a contrasting pop of colour like fuchsia works in more ways than one.’
- ‘Black, brown, navy, and gray are all great fall/winter colors, but so are lime green, purple and fuchsia… well, at least when worn and combined properly.’
- ‘From fuchsia to deep purple, algae green, midnight blue and even contrasts the entire spectrum is on display.’
- ‘The trick is that they're also a great foil for playful accessories in lemon yellow, tangerine, fuchsia, red, or sky-blue.’
- ‘‘And in a range of colours from fuchsia to orange, yellow to aqua,’ she adds.’
- ‘The great expanse of the Terris Nebula dominated the western horizon, with its many hues of vermilion, purple and fuchsia against the dark sapphire of the evening sky.’
- ‘As for colors, we'll be seeing the return of white bases adorned with colorful designs, yellow, orange, lime green, fuchsia, sky blue in their brightest of forms.’
- ‘Turquoise, purple, fuchsia, sun yellow and emerald green make up the colourful palette from which you can choose.’
- ‘Purple, pink, fuchsia, and light greens are already displayed in stores and on magazine covers everywhere.’
- ‘Staring back at me in the mirror with really confused eyes was a girl with porcelain skin, rosy red cheeks that flushed with the colour apple red; fuchsia stained lips and scarily outlined eyes.’
- ‘The artist will contrast vermilion, fuchsia and a yellow, and the painting will feel strangely crepuscular.’
- ‘A strong ethnic collection, it uses vivid colours which range form burgundy and strong fuchsia to canary yellow and electric blue.’
- ‘Barber suggests a coloured lip balm, in coral or fuchsia, waterproof mascara, fun coloured pencils and a tint with SPF.’
Modern Latin, named in honor of Leonhard Fuchs (1501–66), German botanist.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.