One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large, deep container for frying food.
- ‘One reported burn incident occurred when partially frozen chicken wings were added to hot oil in a turkey fryer.’
- ‘Come closer, and note the absence of any conventional stovetops, closed ovens, deep fryers, or steam table.’
- ‘There is also a number of integrated Miele appliances, including a gas and electric hob, deep fat fryer, oven, microwave and fridge-freezer.’
- ‘Another rebelled in a healthy eating household and bought a deep fat fryer.’
- ‘The second was filled with an ill-smelling haze from the deep fat friers in the back kitchen.’
- ‘Raffle prizes ranged from bottles of wine to televisions and deep fat fryers.’
- ‘There have been many foods that we have put into a deep fryer: Twinkies, Snickers bars, Oreos, pickles, even cheesecake.’
- ‘For the plantain crust: Preheat the deep fryer to 325 degrees.’
- ‘You can get deep fat fryers nowadays from about £20 upwards.’
- ‘Place the ring molds in the fryer until golden brown, about one minute.’
- ‘Included in the sale are a built-in hob, oven and deep fat fryer along with a washing machine and dishwasher.’
- ‘The no-frills atmosphere and the constant sizzle of the deep fryer add an air of authenticity, even if take-out orders aren't wrapped in newspaper anymore.’
- ‘Even the waste fat from fast-food deep fryers can he used, and the conversion process is simple enough that some enthusiasts make it in their own kitchens.’
- ‘For the asparagus tempura roll: In a deep fryer or tall sided pot, combine vegetable and sesame oils and heat to 350 degrees.’
- ‘Well, the industry has added a lot of warnings to these turkey fryers.’
- ‘Homeowners often make mistakes when using a turkey fryer.’
- ‘An unusual feature is the electric hob which incorporates a barbecue grill and deep fat fryer as well as two electric plates.’
- ‘The fitted kitchen cum breakfast room has a Belfast sink, double oven, kitchen island with electric and gas double hobs, deep fat fryer and a wine rack.’
- ‘This mandate led to the elimination of deep fat fryers, and the provision of two daily meal choices (served with salad) that would appeal to teenagers.’
- ‘She kept her cool, even remembering to turn off the oven and deep fat fryer.’
2North American A small young chicken suitable for frying.
- ‘Into the locker went butchered chickens - you butchered them when they had become fryers, though some were permitted to reach the roaster or stewing stage.’
- ‘When I shop for chicken, I don't buy anything other than whole fryers because I know how marked up the parts are.’
- ‘Of course, young chickens (also called broilers and fryers; under 6 lb. and about seven weeks old) can be roasted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.