One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish of various types of fried food.
- ‘This book begins with the arrival of the salted eel and ends when the entire creature has been consumed in a sequence of soups, stews, casseroles and fry-ups.’
- ‘Everything you could want: Marmite on toast and cucumber sandwiches for the junior department while you consume a hangover-curing fry-up or smoked salmon with a glass of bubbly.’
- ‘It used to be that you'd start the day with a fry-up, then a bacon sarnie when you got to the ground and a pie and chips for lunch.’
- ‘There were no real guidelines - if you wanted to have a fry-up, you could have one.’
- ‘I find fry-ups a bit too heavy and greasy but I do have the occasional bacon sandwich, if the bacon is grilled.’
- ‘He stopped smoking - ‘just like that’ - at the age of 65, but refused to give up his favourite meal - a fry-up of bacon and eggs.’
- ‘I always played tennis on Saturday afternoons and under normal conditions, Mum would have cooked sweet corn, salted cod or a fry-up of sausages, eggs and tomatoes.’
- ‘‘He told me he's looking forward to a big fry-up and a nice Sunday roast - since he's been on rations he's really missed his proper home cooking,’ added Sharon.’
- ‘He envied our camping trip living off pasta and café fry-ups.’
- ‘Alcohol and mobile phones were banned, and their only indulgence was food - fatty fry-ups and rations of stew and bread - and a sleeping bag.’
- ‘It's handy because it is just across the road from my house in Primrose Hill and they do a great fry-up with nice Polish sausages.’
- ‘Elaborate dishes are not their style, certainly not in the kitchen where their approach favours speedy fry-ups and fast salads.’
- ‘For some the combination of a cooked breakfast washed down with pints of lager proved irresistible - 50 fry-ups were served before the end of the first half.’
- ‘It will campaign against a proposed tax on fatty foods, defend the rights of dairy farmers to produce unpasteurised milk and champion the liberty to eat fry-ups every night of the week.’
- ‘Too many fry-ups and the arteries soon start to get a bit furry.’
- ‘Red meat should be limited and morning fry-ups are ruled out almost entirely.’
- ‘It could be a cafe that serves a great fry-up or an all-day restaurant that serves delicious smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.’
- ‘On the morning of a fight, I always go and have a fry-up with my brother.’
- ‘So we went to a cafe place that sold western food (sandwiches, fry-ups, and the like) and it was good.’
- ‘There's little doubt that low blood sugar levels need to be replenished, whether by plates of home-made soup, porridge or greasy fry-ups.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.