Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An immature or small fruit.
- ‘In other years with an early bloom date, many fruitlets reach 1-inch diameters by early May.’
- ‘The cells that will become next year's fruit buds are beginning to form when you can see this year's fruitlets, which are baby apples just starting to form.’
- ‘Apple scab over-winters on fallen leaves, codling moth caterpillars live in fallen apples and pear midge grubs live in fallen fruitlets.’
- ‘Sawflies infest fruitlets and cause these to drop prematurely after which the pests pupate in the topsoil.’
- ‘She said their early apricot varieties were already forming fruitlets and the bees were ‘flat out’ on the later-blossoming varieties.’
- ‘As the number of king blossoms decreases, so will the average diameter of the fruitlet decrease.’
- ‘Eggs hatch by full bloom and nymphs feed on developing fruitlets though the petal fall period.’
- ‘If the first fruitlet is taken from the north side of a tree, choose the next fruitlet from the east, then south and so on.’
- ‘Thinning of fruitlets by hand is often impossible due to labour cost and availability.’
- ‘Recently, apple fruitlets were also shown to be a rich source, and the kinins have been extracted from this tissue and concentrated.’
- ‘Each of these fruitlets in turn is ‘protected’ by little white sepals.’
- ‘Do not worry about fruitlet size so much as applying the thinning spray when weather conditions are good, as discussed above.’
- 1.1Botany another term for drupelet
- ‘Recently, it has been shown that young Citrus fruitlets are able to synthesize ethylene in a manner that resembles the system II pathway of the climacteric fruits.’
- ‘Although a higher proportion of fruitlets were thinned from the low-vigour vines after anthesis (data not shown), these vines still carried higher crop loads relative to total leaf area.’
- ‘This is a composite fruit formed of 100-200 berry-like fruitlets fused together, giving its outside a tessellated appearance.’
- ‘The larvae are yellow-white in colour, up to 4mm long and found in cavities within distorted fruitlets.’
- ‘Pedicel CSA in fruitlets destined to abscind declined once symptoms of pending abscission became apparent.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.