Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A mixture of different types of chopped fruit served in syrup or juice.
- ‘The usual suspects are on parade for dessert, with a line-up including pancakes, ice-cream, fruit salad and banana flambé.’
- ‘It's served with a tropical fruit salad on the side.’
- ‘She served fresh milk, introduced wholemeal pasta and fresh fruit salad, and baked her own flapjacks and crumbles with oats, sunflower seeds and locally grown apples.’
- ‘They only had fruit salad and chocolate mousse for dessert.’
- ‘Nevertheless, with plenty of fresh fruit salad for dessert, you can certainly fill up healthily for $6.95.’
- ‘The ripe flesh can be served in a fruit salad, or with ice cream; or sections of it can be stewed with sugar and lime juice and conserved.’
- ‘You use the champagne as you would a stock syrup in a fruit salad, to let the purée down but without adding extra sweetness.’
- ‘For dessert there were cheesecake, ice cream, cream cake, fruit salad, and napoleons.’
- ‘Grace watched the group interact from where she was serving herself some fruit salad and suddenly wasn't very hungry.’
- ‘I don't know what that's all about but I've seen the same fruit salad served in vastly different places.’
- ‘Other options include fruit salad, light biscuit sweetmeat, ice cream, or doughnuts.’
- ‘Popular desserts were trifle, fruit salad and traditional Christmas pudding, often made wrapped in a cloth and boiled in the copper.’
- ‘Desserts offered were a chocolate torte, fresh fruit salad (great, not too many apple slices) and a hot concoction of a light sponge topped with apple and blackberries that had a crunchy crumble thin layer on top.’
- ‘Pudding lovers looking for something full of eastern promise might be disappointed though: the desserts on offer were profiteroles, fruit salad and tiramisu - all at £2.95.’
- ‘Tonight: smoked salmon salad with lemon and mint dressing, followed by fresh fruit salad, all home-made, of course.’
- ‘And my simple little dinner (tomato soup, roast leg of lamb with roast potatoes and canned beans, followed by fresh fruit salad and ice cream) did go down well.’
- ‘For pudding, I had fruit salad with custard.’
- ‘My housekeeper stocks the fridge with fruit salad, fresh orange juice, meat and salad, but I suppose that's pretty boring.’
- ‘For dessert the choice is limited to pancakes, creme caramel or fruit salad.’
- ‘Coconut pancake, dates with sesame wantons, fresh fruit salad and ice-creams are displayed adjacent to the buffet table.’
- 1.1military slang A display of medals and other decorations.‘a red-faced old gentleman with a fruit salad of medal ribbons on his chest’
fruit salad/fro͞ot ˈsaləd/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.