Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a tree or other plant) producing fruit.‘flowering and fruit-bearing shrubs enhance a new home’
fructiferous, fruitingView synonyms
- ‘Don't resort to cutting down fruit-bearing trees - that would be much too drastic.’
- ‘Even in small spaces, you can lure birds with just a single tree, some fruit-bearing shrubs, flowers, a birdbath, and a bird feeder.’
- ‘This time, the objective was to propagate specific varieties of fruit-bearing trees that also provide food and shelter to various fauna.’
- ‘The early Greeks in their struggle for survival distinguished primarily between fruit-bearing trees and unproductive ones.’
- ‘For instance, apple trees flower on wood several years old, so you would prune the tree only to strengthen the fruit-bearing branches.’
- ‘Raspberries and blackberries are the most popular and profitable fruit-bearing brambles in Ohio.’
- ‘With that aid, they're building wells, increasing chicken and goat production, reforesting their land with fruit-bearing trees and cassava, and planting maize, beans and sweet potatoes.’
- ‘Vegetation on the campus is very heterogeneous and disturbed, being composed of natural, introduced, ornamental and fruit-bearing species.’
- ‘During his five years of research in tropical forests, Dudley became interested in the connections between primates and fruit-bearing plants.’
- ‘It is very attractive tree and I have seen it grown as a multi-stemmed specimen with fruit-bearing branches growing all the way up the several trunks or as a single trunked tree topped with a mass of branches.’
- ‘All had gardens and grew the same fruit-bearing plants that grow in the German villages of their old homeland, where each house had a kitchen garden.’
- ‘Sadly, when logging is carried out, smaller plants and fruit-bearing vegetation is often crushed by falling trunks.’
- ‘A worm compost is also being added for natural fertilization, said officials, who plan to plant an array of fruit-bearing trees and bushes, vegetables, and flowers in the garden.’
- ‘It was decided that if it was to be a community orchard we should plant other fruit-bearing trees as well.’
- ‘Orchids, flowering plants and fruit-bearing trees have been combined to green the area.’
- ‘When flowering or fruit-bearing miniature trees are seen in season, they look attractive and colourful, and these are most popular among Bonsai growers.’
- ‘If a fruit-bearing tree or plant is not pruned or pinched off, it produces more leaves and branches and less fruit.’
- ‘The 5,000 square feet small island in the Valankulam tank will be home to fruit-bearing trees, which would attract birds.’
- ‘An apple tree arches long, fruit-bearing limbs behind the first man and woman, holding them in an embrace.’
- ‘Flowering and avenue trees, fruit-bearing trees and medicinal herbs recommended by the Indian Road Congress would be planted and protected for three years till they mature.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.