Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an animal) feeding on fruit.
- ‘Furthermore, fruits in the temperate zone are typically removed by frugivorous vertebrates before they become damaged or show signs of rot.’
- ‘All pteropodids are frugivorous or nectarivorous.’
- ‘The natural occurrence of ethanol within ripe and fermenting fruit suggests that low-level ethanol exposure via dietary ingestion is characteristic of all frugivorous metazoans.’
- ‘Little is known, however, about either the natural occurrence of ethanol within fruits or the behavioral responses of frugivorous animals to such cues.’
- ‘Accordingly, the hypothesized deterrence of ethanol to frugivorous vertebrates, or specifically primates, is unsubstantiated.’
Mid 20th century: from Latin frux, frug- ‘fruit’ + -vorous.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.