(of an animal) feeding on fruit.
- ‘All pteropodids are frugivorous or nectarivorous.’
- ‘Little is known, however, about either the natural occurrence of ethanol within fruits or the behavioral responses of frugivorous animals to such cues.’
- ‘Furthermore, fruits in the temperate zone are typically removed by frugivorous vertebrates before they become damaged or show signs of rot.’
- ‘Accordingly, the hypothesized deterrence of ethanol to frugivorous vertebrates, or specifically primates, is unsubstantiated.’
- ‘The natural occurrence of ethanol within ripe and fermenting fruit suggests that low-level ethanol exposure via dietary ingestion is characteristic of all frugivorous metazoans.’
Mid 20th century: from Latin frux, frug- fruit + -vorous.