One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a stale, warm, and stuffy atmosphere.‘a small, frowsty office’
stuffy, musty, airless, unventilated, fusty, close, muggy, stifling, suffocating, oppressiveView synonyms
- ‘Its roughcast walls are pitted; it has an air of frowsty, shut-up dereliction.’
- ‘Here we are back in the pestilent purlieus of Walham Green, and the frowsty atmosphere of the frowsy ‘medium’ and the squalid séance.’
- ‘In these frowsty surrounding, that is positively searing.’
- ‘Yet, only a year ago, the conventional wisdom was that the Golden Jubilee was likely to be a frowsty and embarrassingly ill-attended affair.’
- ‘For, though I've no idea what this accoutred frowsty barn is worth, it pleases me to stand in silence here.’
Mid 19th century (originally dialect): variant of frowzy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.