One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American Icing.
glaze, sugar pasteView synonyms
- ‘I lick the frosting off, waiting for him to speak.’
- ‘No, one year there was a pound cake with no frosting and one big candle in the middle.’
- ‘She iced it with a boiled caramel frosting - nothing ever tasted so good.’
- ‘The brownie was thick, and covered in chocolate frosting.’
- ‘It was a chocolate cake with white frosting and candied cherries on top.’
- ‘For the frosting, place the chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside.’
- ‘Cakes are purchased from local supermarkets whose ideas of frosting include two primary ingredients… sugar and vegetable shortening.’
- ‘When the cake was done, it was decorated with white frosting drizzled down the sides.’
- ‘And that's not including the fact that I am carrying a really nice chocolate cake with vanilla frosting.’
- ‘Cookies that have been frosted with a butter cream type frosting cannot be stacked.’
- ‘Remove cookies from oven, and cool completely before decorating with colored frosting (recipe below).’
- ‘I like to buy different colored frosting in tubes that come with the different tips ready to attach and frost.’
- ‘"Thanks, " I said, licking some frosting from my finger.’
- ‘I don't like frosting unless it's the kind that is like pudding.’
- ‘We covered it in frosting and sprinkles and they ate it anyway.’
- ‘The following morning, I added chocolate frosting and slapped aluminum foil on top.’
- ‘He grinned and held up his fingers, which were covered in chocolate cake frosting.’
- ‘The creamy caramel frosting wonderfully caps off these tender spicy cupcakes.’
- ‘I look up and see Christina, crying loudly, covered in frosting and punch.’
- ‘We scraped our plates; we licked our fingers; and we sliced apple cake and spooned on extra frosting.’
2A roughened matte finish on otherwise shiny material such as glass or steel.
- ‘Naughty boys Ferdinand and Steve took it upon themselves to strip the frosting off the shower door - something which proved to be the highlight of yesterday's Big Brother action.’
- ‘A sweeping, swirl of baby ostrich down, rather like piped icing on an art nouveau birthday cake, contrasted the material's shine with soft, matt frosting.’
- ‘Using the stencil with frosting varnish for glass at £7.95, the varnish can be tinted to create your own stained glass effect.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.