One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American Icing.
glaze, sugar pasteView synonyms
- ‘He grinned and held up his fingers, which were covered in chocolate cake frosting.’
- ‘No, one year there was a pound cake with no frosting and one big candle in the middle.’
- ‘For the frosting, place the chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside.’
- ‘The creamy caramel frosting wonderfully caps off these tender spicy cupcakes.’
- ‘I like to buy different colored frosting in tubes that come with the different tips ready to attach and frost.’
- ‘The brownie was thick, and covered in chocolate frosting.’
- ‘I don't like frosting unless it's the kind that is like pudding.’
- ‘She iced it with a boiled caramel frosting - nothing ever tasted so good.’
- ‘The following morning, I added chocolate frosting and slapped aluminum foil on top.’
- ‘I lick the frosting off, waiting for him to speak.’
- ‘I look up and see Christina, crying loudly, covered in frosting and punch.’
- ‘It was a chocolate cake with white frosting and candied cherries on top.’
- ‘We scraped our plates; we licked our fingers; and we sliced apple cake and spooned on extra frosting.’
- ‘And that's not including the fact that I am carrying a really nice chocolate cake with vanilla frosting.’
- ‘Cookies that have been frosted with a butter cream type frosting cannot be stacked.’
- ‘Cakes are purchased from local supermarkets whose ideas of frosting include two primary ingredients… sugar and vegetable shortening.’
- ‘"Thanks, " I said, licking some frosting from my finger.’
- ‘Remove cookies from oven, and cool completely before decorating with colored frosting (recipe below).’
- ‘When the cake was done, it was decorated with white frosting drizzled down the sides.’
- ‘We covered it in frosting and sprinkles and they ate it anyway.’
2A roughened matte finish on otherwise shiny material such as glass or steel.
- ‘Naughty boys Ferdinand and Steve took it upon themselves to strip the frosting off the shower door - something which proved to be the highlight of yesterday's Big Brother action.’
- ‘Using the stencil with frosting varnish for glass at £7.95, the varnish can be tinted to create your own stained glass effect.’
- ‘A sweeping, swirl of baby ostrich down, rather like piped icing on an art nouveau birthday cake, contrasted the material's shine with soft, matt frosting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.