One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The maximum depth of ground below which the soil does not freeze in winter.
- ‘A closed-loop geothermal heat pump system relies on the constant temperature of the earth below the frost line.’
- ‘Water is carried through a discharge pipe below the frost line, eliminating the possibility of freezing.’
- ‘For example, in the southern United States, the frost line is measured in inches below the surface.’
- ‘Below the frost line (usually 24 to 60 inches below the surface), the soil maintains a fairly constant 50 degrees, plus or minus a little, depending on the location.’
- ‘In the fall, they move down in the soil, usually below the frost line, to spend the winter.’
- ‘Excavate the footing, making sure it goes below the frost line and that the bottom of the trench is as level as possible.’
- ‘As the frost line moves downward, the moisture is left behind, trapped directly below the road surface.’
- ‘In most situations, concrete footings that are below the frost line are recommended and will be required by code.’
- ‘You could completely solve this problem by preparing a foundation for your pad that would extend down into the soil below the frost line, but this isn't practical for a pad of any size.’
- ‘Make sure the footing is excavated deep enough to go below the frost line.’
- ‘The best solution to this issue is to bury the water line below the frost line.’
- ‘The components running from source to building must be laid below the local frost line.’
- ‘Wood ants, for instance, like to stay near the surface by day - the entrance mound works as a solar collector - and descend below the frost line at night, as far as ten feet down.’
- ‘Some, such as the yellow mud turtle, burrow deeper into the soil shortly after hatching, finding safety below the frost line.’
- ‘You might have to lay a pipe below the frost line and install a new faucet by the garden, or haul a hose, which is hard work.’
- ‘In cold climates, footings should extend 6 inches below the frost line or comply with local codes.’
- ‘In the rural areas, where the frost line gets down quite a ways, people have problems with freezing lines.’
- ‘Install small-diameter pipes below the frost line to prevent freezing.’
- ‘The water, which will never freeze because the property lies below the frost line, will be recirculated through a radiant floor that will keep the house warm.’
- ‘Ants and termites survive the cold by moving into and huddling together in the deep reaches of their underground colonies that extend below the frost line.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.