One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of delicate clusters of ice crystals that form directly from water vapor, typically on the surface of sea ice.
- ‘The glittering spectacle of frost flowers is a common sight on sea ice during polar springtime when the arrival of sunlight sparks a chain of chemical reactions.’
- ‘In fact one frost flower that I was taking a photo of all of a sudden went from a dull ice-blue to a bright gold - the sunshine shining through it.’
- ‘Solar heat is undoubtably destructive to frost flowers and thus most are found in shaded spots.’
- ‘This is significant, because it's the salt in frost flowers that could be important to climate change.’
- ‘Each layer of ice is so thin that the total frost flower is almost weightless and will shatter like glass if touched.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.