One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of delicate clusters of ice crystals that form directly from water vapor, typically on the surface of sea ice.
- ‘Each layer of ice is so thin that the total frost flower is almost weightless and will shatter like glass if touched.’
- ‘The glittering spectacle of frost flowers is a common sight on sea ice during polar springtime when the arrival of sunlight sparks a chain of chemical reactions.’
- ‘This is significant, because it's the salt in frost flowers that could be important to climate change.’
- ‘Solar heat is undoubtably destructive to frost flowers and thus most are found in shaded spots.’
- ‘In fact one frost flower that I was taking a photo of all of a sudden went from a dull ice-blue to a bright gold - the sunshine shining through it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.