One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A building where pelota or jai alai is played.
- ‘The company had one fronton in Connecticut, four in Florida.’
- ‘The awarded dates resulted in actual conflicting performances at the Bridgeport and Hartford frontons on 92 dates.’
- ‘Tijuana seems to be a stepping-stone to more lucrative frontons in the United States.’
- ‘Jim Horne, Florida's education commissioner, publicly supports a ballot initiative that could eventually lead to expanded gaming at seven of South Florida's racetracks and jai-alai frontons.’
- ‘Voters in rural Hamilton County, Florida, on the Georgia border, approved a measure on Tuesday that will allow pari-mutuel wagering at a jai alai fronton and off-track betting facility in Jasper that will open within two years.’
- ‘He's retired now, a bookie at the fronton in Mexico City, and he's the happiest person there.’
- ‘Every day, there are greater numbers of American players, throughout the frontons of this country.’
- ‘Texas Jai-alai will have a capacity of 12,000 spectators and its court will have dimensions that comply with that of the traditional frontons of Cesta Punta.’
- ‘We passed what looked like three-sided open-air squash courts - frontons, Fernando said, built by Basque settlers who wanted to play pelota in their new home.’
- ‘The referendum asked state voters to decide whether Miami-Dade and Broward counties could conduct a separate local referendum for approval to install slot machines at horse tracks and dog tracks and jai-alai frontons in those counties.’
- ‘The ruling will have virtually no effect since lawmakers have already repealed the law and the sales company now owns the Ocala Jai-Alai fronton, whose previous owners, World Jai-Alai, originally filed the suit.’
- ‘There are also frontons in Mexico City, Acapulco, and Tijuana.’
- ‘The sale of the Ocala Jai-Alai fronton and off-track wagering facility to a subsidiary of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. was completed on Wednesday.’
- ‘Dania Jai-Alai opened over 50 years ago as the second jai-alai fronton in the United States.’
- ‘Voters will have the opportunity to approve a constitutional amendment that could pave the way for slot machines at three horse racetracks, two dog tracks, and two jai-alai frontons in the state.’
- ‘In the United States, only two frontons remain open full time: Miami and Dania Beach.’
- ‘This could lead to an oversaturated market, as two of the largest casinos in North America are just a short drive away in Connecticut, and Rhode Island greyhound tracks and jai alai frontons have slots.’
- ‘The other two pari-mutuel facilities in Broward County are Hollywood Greyhound Track and Dania Jai Alai fronton.’
- ‘Broward County commissioners are scheduled to decide on Tuesday whether to conduct a special election in March for a referendum on allowing slot machines at racetracks and jai-lai frontons.’
- ‘This leaves in question the future of a fronton that once was far west of town and is now being surrounded by residential and commercial projects.’
2another term for pediment
- ‘One should particularly note the large frontons on the porticoes, which have had to be supported by a reinforced concrete frame.’
- ‘At the library left of the central shrine the frontons are especially noteworthy.’
- ‘Far from being inert, it takes in that which is found below and carries it skywards, serving as a base for other diminishing frontons that are set at the projection of the upper tiers.’
- ‘Each of these frontons is again distinguished by bordering ornamental turrets on its either flanks, which are carried beyond the parapets.’
Late 17th century: from French, from Italian frontone, from fronte ‘forehead’, from Latin frons, front- ‘front, forehead’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.