Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The pages, such as the title page and preface, that precede the main text of a book.
- ‘Within the front matter, the authors of the Million Word Crossword Dictionary promise to consider all suggestions for new words and clues, for future editions.’
- ‘It just arrived in the mail today and I don't know anything about it but what I just read on the dust jacket and skimming through the front matter.’
- ‘Generally, the first element of the front matter is the title page.’
- ‘Many of Gardiner's stories had already appeared in magazines, including The New Yorker, but I could find no reference in the front matter of Trevor's book indicating that any of these tales had appeared elsewhere first.’
- ‘Ware's other comic genius is mimicry - also one of my favourite forms of humour (every 4-point sentence in the front matter of Quimby the Mouse is a side-splitter).’
front matter/ˈfrənt ˌmadər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.