One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The pages, such as the title page and preface, that precede the main text of a book.
- ‘It just arrived in the mail today and I don't know anything about it but what I just read on the dust jacket and skimming through the front matter.’
- ‘Within the front matter, the authors of the Million Word Crossword Dictionary promise to consider all suggestions for new words and clues, for future editions.’
- ‘Generally, the first element of the front matter is the title page.’
- ‘Many of Gardiner's stories had already appeared in magazines, including The New Yorker, but I could find no reference in the front matter of Trevor's book indicating that any of these tales had appeared elsewhere first.’
- ‘Ware's other comic genius is mimicry - also one of my favourite forms of humour (every 4-point sentence in the front matter of Quimby the Mouse is a side-splitter).’
front matter/ˈfrənt ˌmadər/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.