One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The main desk at a hotel or motel, for checking in or out and handling requests from guests.
- ‘These bookings are made at the front desk or on a board near the machines.’
- ‘When they got to the front desk, Mandi tapped the bell on the desk, and a young man walked over.’
- ‘He has a night job at the front desk of the Baltic Hotel under an equally thuggish boss.’
- ‘He said the new system allowed a more efficient ordering service at the front desk.’
- ‘After an initial two-hour training session, the recruits will be working alongside full-time civilians at police station front desks for practical experience.’
- ‘One step is to make sure that the bellhop is always outside and that someone is always at the front desk.’
- ‘He scored a position as a receptionist on the front desk and he knew that this was for him, despite the lowly position.’
- ‘She went to the front desk and a man directed her way up to her hotel suit, which was on the top floor.’
- ‘Someday I will go in and ask the lady at the front desk because those people are paid to be friendly.’
- ‘Upon entry, most have a front desk or a staff member that monitors who enters the premises.’
- ‘Drake was sitting at the front desks, his back to me, conversing with his partner while setting up equipment.’
- ‘I grabbed my stuff and ran by the front desk, waving to the receptionist as I went.’
- ‘He told the person at the front desk that he'd be returning to the hotel by midnight local time.’
- ‘Later we came down to the front desk and the lady on the desk asked if we knew a B and L Goode.’
- ‘I started shaking even harder when we walked into the front door and to the front desk.’
- ‘She registered at the front desk, while Jenni tried to find her name on the room list.’
- ‘I popped into the hotel and left my card at the front desk with a message asking the team leader to give me a call.’
- ‘A shortage of officers means police are having to recruit Neighbourhood Watch volunteers to man the front desk.’
- ‘The only people that should be behind the front desk should be the front desk employees.’
- ‘Unlike staying in commercial hotels, whose front desks understand English and can help you arrange transportation, you're on your own while staying in vacation rental properties.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.