One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A transmission system that provides power to the front wheels of a motor vehicle.
- ‘The following model year, Chrysler plans to unveil a thoroughly revamped LH platform that shifts from front-wheel drive to rear-wheel drive, same as the E-Class.’
- ‘For those of us who live in areas where snow and ice are a real concern for a good part of the year, front-wheel drive was a godsend.’
- ‘But here is BMW's new small car, its Audi A3 and Volkswagen Golf rival, flying in the face of the hatchback class's front-wheel drive convention simply because that is the way BMWs have always been.’
- ‘The crossovers are characterized by uni-bodies and a drivetrain that at least starts out as front-wheel drive.’
- ‘The original Mini, introduced in 1959, brought transverse front-wheel drive to the auto industry, and stayed in production virtually unchanged for 41 years.’
- ‘Dubbed Versatrak, it provides front-wheel drive until extra traction is needed.’
- ‘This means more driveline and chassis content and complexity in segments that previously only offered front-wheel drive.’
- ‘Today's version is the sixth generation of the breed and over the years the car has grown in size and moved from longitudinal rear-wheel drive to transverse front-wheel drive.’
- ‘Ordinarily, the vehicle runs in a front-wheel drive mode, but if wheel slippage is detected, power is automatically delivered to the rear wheels.’
- ‘Many boy racers end up in ditches, after mistakenly assuming that their front-engined, front-wheel drive vehicles will behave the same way as stuff they see on television.’
- ‘All competitors drive a Fisher prepared Peugeot 206 XSI with a 1.6 litre engine and front-wheel drive.’
- ‘While we're at it, don't bother picking a car for its front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, or mid-mounted engine - pick it because it's pretty.’
- ‘Add a transverse engine and front-wheel drive layout and the result is a cabin which must have the most spacious rear seat legroom in the class.’
- ‘Fiestas have always been fun cars to drive and this new model is no exception, the front-wheel drive provides a positive feel and the grip inspires enough confidence to push the car to its limit.’
- ‘It was a small, affordable, front-wheel drive economy car that was quite powerful.’
- ‘After the summer shutdown in August, the Southampton plant in the U.K. will build front-wheel drive short and medium wheelbase versions, and the Izmet plant in Turkey will produce selected rear-wheel drive versions.’
- ‘One, an Audi, is front-wheel drive, a mechanical system it shares with every other similarly sized hatchback.’
- ‘Yes, it is roomier than an Omega, despite a shorter overall length, notably in the altitude of its load bay, thanks to the lower floor that front-wheel drive makes possible.’
- ‘The point about all these models is that they are all front-wheel drive and the Transit is rear-wheel drive - until now.’
- ‘The De Ville is relatively successful and will be the only remaining front-wheel drive vehicle in the lineup.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.