One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A transmission system that provides power to the front wheels of a motor vehicle.
- ‘The crossovers are characterized by uni-bodies and a drivetrain that at least starts out as front-wheel drive.’
- ‘The original Mini, introduced in 1959, brought transverse front-wheel drive to the auto industry, and stayed in production virtually unchanged for 41 years.’
- ‘It was a small, affordable, front-wheel drive economy car that was quite powerful.’
- ‘Fiestas have always been fun cars to drive and this new model is no exception, the front-wheel drive provides a positive feel and the grip inspires enough confidence to push the car to its limit.’
- ‘The De Ville is relatively successful and will be the only remaining front-wheel drive vehicle in the lineup.’
- ‘Add a transverse engine and front-wheel drive layout and the result is a cabin which must have the most spacious rear seat legroom in the class.’
- ‘After the summer shutdown in August, the Southampton plant in the U.K. will build front-wheel drive short and medium wheelbase versions, and the Izmet plant in Turkey will produce selected rear-wheel drive versions.’
- ‘Yes, it is roomier than an Omega, despite a shorter overall length, notably in the altitude of its load bay, thanks to the lower floor that front-wheel drive makes possible.’
- ‘This means more driveline and chassis content and complexity in segments that previously only offered front-wheel drive.’
- ‘The point about all these models is that they are all front-wheel drive and the Transit is rear-wheel drive - until now.’
- ‘Today's version is the sixth generation of the breed and over the years the car has grown in size and moved from longitudinal rear-wheel drive to transverse front-wheel drive.’
- ‘Many boy racers end up in ditches, after mistakenly assuming that their front-engined, front-wheel drive vehicles will behave the same way as stuff they see on television.’
- ‘For those of us who live in areas where snow and ice are a real concern for a good part of the year, front-wheel drive was a godsend.’
- ‘While we're at it, don't bother picking a car for its front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, or mid-mounted engine - pick it because it's pretty.’
- ‘Dubbed Versatrak, it provides front-wheel drive until extra traction is needed.’
- ‘The following model year, Chrysler plans to unveil a thoroughly revamped LH platform that shifts from front-wheel drive to rear-wheel drive, same as the E-Class.’
- ‘But here is BMW's new small car, its Audi A3 and Volkswagen Golf rival, flying in the face of the hatchback class's front-wheel drive convention simply because that is the way BMWs have always been.’
- ‘One, an Audi, is front-wheel drive, a mechanical system it shares with every other similarly sized hatchback.’
- ‘All competitors drive a Fisher prepared Peugeot 206 XSI with a 1.6 litre engine and front-wheel drive.’
- ‘Ordinarily, the vehicle runs in a front-wheel drive mode, but if wheel slippage is detected, power is automatically delivered to the rear wheels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.