One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Completely; thoroughly.‘we searched the place from top to bottom’
thoroughly, fully, to the fullest extent, extensively, completely, comprehensively, rigorously, exhaustively, scrupulously, meticulously, conscientiously, minutely, in close detailView synonyms
- ‘He now says he wants to review the Department from top to bottom and propose a complete overhaul.’
- ‘One worker said that staff have been cleaning the department from top to bottom.’
- ‘The report says that the fire service needs to be changed from top to bottom and every aspect of its work needs to be reformed.’
- ‘It needs an overhaul from top to bottom and it won't be a quick fix.’
- ‘She cooks the family meal, cleans the house from top to bottom and completes her homework the day she receives it.’
- ‘When visitors were expected, she aired the beds and cleaned the house from top to bottom, and she wrote lists.’
- ‘The police cordoned off the area, declared a curfew, and searched the place from top to bottom.’
- ‘According to some of the conspiracy theorists, the whole sport will soon be exposed as corrupt from top to bottom.’
- ‘The Government boldly decided to reform the system from top to bottom.’
- ‘Cronyism is rampant from top to bottom in British public life.’
- ‘If I do end up getting it, before I move in I'm hiring people to go in and scrub the place top to bottom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.