One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Starting at the lower end or beginning of a hierarchy or process and proceeding to the top or to completion.‘we began to study history from the bottom up’
- ‘‘Some of the ideas put forward by the original consultants were ridiculous, and they tried to do it from the top down rather than from the bottom up and take into account the views of people on the ground,’ he said.’
- ‘But, in a process described as working from the bottom up, three codes were drawn up by the relevant industries.’
- ‘You can tell he's a beginner because he canvasses council flats from the bottom up.’
- ‘Partnership encourages good communication from the bottom up so all are involved in the process.’
- ‘The historical process has unfolded from the bottom up.’
- ‘Many of the volumes draw inspiration from the so-called subaltern approach, which generally focuses on history from the bottom up.’
- ‘Repeat this process, working from the bottom up, until all the damaged boards are removed.’
- ‘Second, adaptation processes that are built from the bottom up and are based on social capital can alter the perceptions of climate change from a global to a local problem.’
- ‘Change needs to come from the bottom up and it's only real people that make a difference.’
- ‘They are wrong in assuming either approach could offer a stable alternative to the long process of building democracy from the bottom up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.