One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who swims underwater wearing a rubber suit, flippers, and an oxygen supply.
- ‘A desperate police search, involving underwater frogmen and mounted police officers, was launched but no trace of the teenager was found until his body finally surfaced 12 days later, close to the spot where he fell in.’
- ‘The popular image of SEALs is as frogmen, stealthy Navy commandos who operate from the sea.’
- ‘He'd obviously got it into his head that ‘dress to thrill ‘had something to do with James Bond and was therefore stepping out of his car, with a rather pleased expression on his face, in a full frogman's outfit.’
- ‘The leatherback frogmen of the NYPD Scuba Squad patrol a hellish world beyond noir, where body parts abound, the water's filthy, and mob victims wear concrete shoes.’
- ‘Today a police spokesman said frogmen who had recovered the body and conducted an underwater search for clues, had finished their work, with the remainder of the search taking place on land.’
- ‘The disappearance sparked a huge search involving police frogmen and dog section, and a helicopter from West Yorkshire Police.’
- ‘They're sending frogmen into the lake to look for the attack weapon.’
- ‘You're seen shots of guards and soldiers, and gunboats and frogmen patrolling the harbors.’
- ‘Civilian frogmen from Furness began a search almost immediately and a salvage team was called from Barrow.’
- ‘Among the more unusual responses, one boy said he wanted to be a frogman and another wanted to be a building contractor, to make money.’
- ‘He's also a qualified frogman, a Cobra helicopter attack pilot and a free-fall parachutist.’
- ‘And teams of frogmen are inspecting every vessel allowed into the harbour.’
- ‘Their sleek build enabled them to sail under large vessels so that frogmen could plant limpet mines on their hulls.’
- ‘Sniffer dogs and police frogmen scoured areas around the Hong Kong Convention Center, the venue for today's celebrations, and police sealed part of the area along the famous Victoria Harbour.’
- ‘Police boats and frogmen were patrolling the harbour, and a no-fly zone was declared over the venue and a hotel where the Chinese president is staying during his 24-hour visit.’
- ‘The islet is a training base for Chinese military frogmen.’
- ‘Panerai first made wristwatches in 1938 for the Italian navy's frogmen commandos.’
- ‘Back in those days, technology wasn't what it is now, so they put a frogman beneath me in my lane.’
- ‘Beck enlisted in 1963 and served as a frogman and Navy intelligence officer in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos during the Vietnam War.’
- ‘The navy profited from the indifferent performance of the Italian navy, though Italian frogmen performed some notable feats of courage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.