One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small kind of frog.
- ‘The smooth froglet is found throughout northern and central Tasmania, where it occurs in wet and dry forests.’
- ‘In the Southwestern Australian scrubland, a host of strange - sounding animals could face extinction, including numbats and the squelching froglet.’
- ‘Among other creatures, the lake vicinity is home to an endangered species, the Wallum froglet, and a breeding ground for the endangered Loggerhead turtle.’
- ‘Tadpoles of the squelching froglet are usually found in the shallows of permanent and temporary water.’
2A tiny frog that has recently developed from a tadpole.
- ‘‘This is really fascinating because, though males are known to guard eggs, they have never been known to transport the froglets,’ said Janalee P. Caldwell, specialist in amphibian biology at the University of Oklahoma.’
- ‘You also should have some sort of floating pad so that the little froglets can sit out of the water.’
- ‘The tiny, freshly metamorphosed wood froglets then leave the water for a life on land.’
- ‘Mothers of the Jamaican cave frog species - Eleutherodactylus cundalli - carry their froglets from the cave into the rain forest.’
- ‘But while eggs and tadpoles thus escape becoming a meal for a predator, they must develop into froglets by the time the pools have dried up in late June or early July.’
- ‘With the help of my pond, we raised thousands and thousands of froglets every year, a few got eaten, but most got away - it's the law of my jungle.’
- ‘Therefore, it is important that you acquire healthy froglets and continue the regiment of supplementing the frogs.’
- ‘Tadpoles and froglets can be preyed on by other frogs, crayfish, fish, turtles, and dragonfly larvae.’
- ‘As the tiny froglets emerge from their shells, usually a brood of up to 25, each climbs onto the father's back.’
- ‘Birds and other carnivores may feast on froglets at edge of the pond as they summer.’
- ‘Cover the container with a cover that the froglets can not escape from and will maintain the humidity.’
- ‘The froglets will make their own vitamins to obtain the calcium required for their growth even better.’
- ‘When the froglets are finally born, they leave her body the same way they came in: through her mouth.’
- ‘Often ‘mass emergence’ of froglets can lead to a frenzy of predators putting in an appearance.’
- ‘Do not change the water until they are mostly froglets and large tadpoles at around stage 55.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.