Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A small kind of frog.
- ‘The smooth froglet is found throughout northern and central Tasmania, where it occurs in wet and dry forests.’
- ‘Among other creatures, the lake vicinity is home to an endangered species, the Wallum froglet, and a breeding ground for the endangered Loggerhead turtle.’
- ‘Tadpoles of the squelching froglet are usually found in the shallows of permanent and temporary water.’
- ‘In the Southwestern Australian scrubland, a host of strange - sounding animals could face extinction, including numbats and the squelching froglet.’
2A tiny frog that has recently developed from a tadpole.
- ‘The froglets will make their own vitamins to obtain the calcium required for their growth even better.’
- ‘Do not change the water until they are mostly froglets and large tadpoles at around stage 55.’
- ‘As the tiny froglets emerge from their shells, usually a brood of up to 25, each climbs onto the father's back.’
- ‘When the froglets are finally born, they leave her body the same way they came in: through her mouth.’
- ‘The tiny, freshly metamorphosed wood froglets then leave the water for a life on land.’
- ‘Often ‘mass emergence’ of froglets can lead to a frenzy of predators putting in an appearance.’
- ‘Cover the container with a cover that the froglets can not escape from and will maintain the humidity.’
- ‘With the help of my pond, we raised thousands and thousands of froglets every year, a few got eaten, but most got away - it's the law of my jungle.’
- ‘‘This is really fascinating because, though males are known to guard eggs, they have never been known to transport the froglets,’ said Janalee P. Caldwell, specialist in amphibian biology at the University of Oklahoma.’
- ‘Mothers of the Jamaican cave frog species - Eleutherodactylus cundalli - carry their froglets from the cave into the rain forest.’
- ‘But while eggs and tadpoles thus escape becoming a meal for a predator, they must develop into froglets by the time the pools have dried up in late June or early July.’
- ‘You also should have some sort of floating pad so that the little froglets can sit out of the water.’
- ‘Therefore, it is important that you acquire healthy froglets and continue the regiment of supplementing the frogs.’
- ‘Birds and other carnivores may feast on froglets at edge of the pond as they summer.’
- ‘Tadpoles and froglets can be preyed on by other frogs, crayfish, fish, turtles, and dragonfly larvae.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.