One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounin phrase go" or "be on the fritz
(of a machine) stop working properly.
- ‘Just days before a big family dinner, my oven went on the fritz.’
- ‘Their espresso machine was on the fritz so we opted for the less than stellar regular coffee.’
- ‘The half-height cubicle they show you is completely lit by a fluorescent light which is on the fritz.’
- ‘I'd display some pictures, but my camera's been on the fritz since a trip to the Virgin Islands.’
- ‘Then Lea mentioned that the fridge was on the fritz, so I jury-rigged it again.’
- ‘Years from now, when your state-of-the-art PC is on the fritz, you might have to call your local molecular biologist for tech support.’
- ‘My scanner seems to be on the fritz, so I'll have to scan them at work on Saturday instead.’
- ‘As I mentioned before, one of the two glass elevators seemed to be on the fritz for about half of the voyage.’
- ‘The heat was on the fritz and the faucet in the washroom was never really able to shut off.’
- ‘It's not like an electrical grid is going to go on the fritz tomorrow and leave a corner of the country in the dark, right?’
- ‘My movie clip software is on the fritz, so unfortunately, there is no new movie clip this month.’
- ‘My cable modem at home is on the fritz, so there probably won't be any more blog posts until I get it fixed.’
- ‘Joe's little silver Volkswagen was on the fritz and the two of them had it parked in my dad's driveway (which is separate from our regular driveway).’
- ‘Our electrical equipment went on the fritz and never came back.’
- ‘First my printer went bonkers, and then my cable modem went on the fritz.’
- ‘We need to get the air conditioning repaired because it's been on the fritz for three weeks.’
- ‘The pump is vital to storing enough water to last during spells when the water is shut off, and it was on the fritz.’
- ‘Voting machines were on the fritz, and the office received constant calls about voting procedure.’
- ‘The next time your water heater goes on the fritz, you can blame Adam for your aggravation.’
- ‘For weeks the phones were on the fritz, and there were too few people to handle too many offers to help.’
Early 20th century: said to be a use of Fritz, with allusion to cheap German imports into the US before the First World War.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.