Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An elongated deep-sea shark with prominent gill covers that give the appearance of a frill around the neck.
- ‘In late January, a frilled shark was caught and in early February, a goblin shark was captured.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the frilled shark discovered in Japan didn't survive more than a couple of hours.’
- ‘The staff of a Japanese aquarium took pictures of a rare frilled shark on Sunday, after it was discovered by local residents at Awashima Port, southwest of Tokyo.’
- ‘Believed to have changed little since prehistoric times, the frilled shark is linked to long-extinct species by its slinky shape and by an upper jaw that is part of its skull.’
- ‘Because frilled sharks live on the ocean floor, they may also feed on carrion floating down from the surface.’
- ‘Among the most talked about sharks are great white sharks, frilled sharks, tiger sharks, whale sharks, hammerhead sharks, goblin sharks, bull sharks.’
- ‘The shark's mouth is usually on the underside with the exception of the whale shark, Megamouth shark, frilled sharks and some carpet sharks.’
- ‘The video shows the frilled shark swimming through the water with its mouth open.’
- ‘We have blue sharks, shortfin makos, and blackmouth dogfishes; thresher sharks, starry smoothhounds and porbeagles; frilled sharks, bramble sharks and sharpnose sevengills.’
- ‘Frilled sharks and cow sharks have one dorsal fin; all other sharks have two dorsal fins.’
- ‘Marine park staff caught the 1.6 metre long creature, which they identified as a female frilled shark, sometimes referred to as a ‘living fossil’ because it is a primitive species that has changed little since prehistoric times.’
- ‘The frilled shark is a living fossil and is usually found at depths of around 2,000 feet.’
- ‘Frilled sharks are so different from the others in this group that they may be even more isolated on the shark family tree.’
- ‘The body length ranges from 77 inches for frilled sharks to 16.5 feet for a species of six-gill shark.’
- ‘Readers will pick up Nouvian's book for its stunning, 200-plus full-page color photographs of dumbo octopuses, frilled sharks, and hydrothermal vent worms; they will hang on to it for the well-written, extremely informative text.’
- ‘Female frilled sharks also have the dubious distinction of having one of the longest known gestation periods, thought to be up to two years.’
- ‘While not matching the description exactly, it probably is a close relative and suggests there may be some giant frilled sharks in the sea that could be taken for sea serpents.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.