One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large northern Australian lizard with a membrane around the neck that can be erected to form a ruff for defensive display. When disturbed, it runs away on its hind legs.
Chlamydosaurus kingii, family Agamidae
- ‘The condition is usually seen on the head, extremities, lateral body wall, and, in frilled lizards, at the edge of the frill.’
- ‘We also have bandicoots, goannas, wallabies, pademelons, frill-necked lizards, possums and more.’
- ‘The colour of the lizard matches the land on which it lives, so a frilled lizard from one region may be brighter than another.’
- ‘In real life, Boga resembles a wide variety of reptiles including iguanas, geckos, Komodo Dragons, regal horned lizards, frilled lizards, and even prehistoric dinosaurs.’
- ‘When a enemy comes up to the frilled lizard, it puts out the frill which scares the enemy away.’
- ‘It is recommended for turtles, monitors, bearded dragons, diamond pythons, frilled lizards and other species.’
- ‘Frilled lizards, owls, cockatoos, and parrots lived in cages around him.’
- ‘After mating with a male frilled lizard in September, the female lays up to 23 tiny eggs.’
- ‘The frilled lizard lives in the subhumid to semi-arid grassy woodlands.’
- ‘The frilled lizard lays between 8 and 14 eggs, which are laid at the beginning of the wet season.’
- ‘It was like watching frill-necked lizards on the Discovery Channel; they'd spit at each other, their eyes would swell up out of their heads, usually someone would vomit on someone else.’
- ‘Undoubtedly, one of the quirkiest sights in nature is the gangly retreat of an Australian frilled lizard.’
- ‘In a striking display of defiance, the frilled lizard opens its mouth, causing its frill, which usually lies flat against its neck, to flare out menacingly.’
- ‘In some areas, land clearing and the introduction of cats have caused frilled lizard numbers to decline.’
- ‘‘I can thank the school janitor who took time to show us the lizards, frill-necked lizards and lace monitors in the school grounds,’ he said.’
- ‘The Mascot for the Sydney 2000 Paralympic Games was Lizzie, the frill-necked lizard.’
- ‘The purist may point out that frilled lizards don't live in the woods.’
- ‘James Smith says he has fed blended cane toad skins to goannas, frill-necked lizards and saltwater crocodiles as part of his PhD study.’
- ‘This plastic frilled lizard is great for school projects, toys, novelties, animal collections, party favors and more.’
- ‘The frill-necked lizard, for example, was called Gundamen, and his odd appearance was said to be the result of punishment by the tribal elders.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.