One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Each of the two areas of the earth respectively north of the Arctic Circle and south of the Antarctic Circle.
- ‘The limits of the zones can be defined by circles drawn on both sides of the equator and parallel to it, namely, by two circles which enclose the torrid zone, and by two others, following upon these, which form the two temperate zones next to the torrid zone and the two frigid zones next to the temperate zones.’
- ‘Wouldn't it be pleasant to have milder temperatures, especially in the temperate and frigid zones?’
- ‘Strabo locates the frigid zone, or arctic circle, at 54° distance from the equator.’
- ‘The earth's axial tilt divides it into three main climatic zones: the tropical or torrid zone, the temperate zones, and the polar or frigid zones.’
- 1.1informal A range of extremely cold temperatures.‘winter temperatures can dip into the frigid zone’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.