One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wig with the hair arranged standing up or sticking out, as worn by a clown or similar performer.
- ‘And it is a great performance by Lee, who should seem comical and ridiculous in his fright wig and kilt, but doesn't.’
- ‘By the final series, completed the year before his unexpected death from a botched gall bladder operation, his cheeks are sinking, his features overpowered by a gleaming white nylon fright wig.’
- ‘For my Mr. H costume, I dug a cheap black fright wig out of the family toybox, shaking out some of the dust bunnies.’
- ‘Before he can figure out what's happening, a bunch of albinos in white tunics and cream-colored fright wigs start shooting arrows at him.’
- ‘She speaks eloquently of the differences, and notes that admission to the world of floppy shoes and fright wigs is based on more than just an understanding of physical comedy.’
- ‘I mean, how many times can you stand watching grown men and women in fright wigs doing aerobics?’
- ‘True, he didn't shoot anybody back then and he hadn't worn fright wigs as a teenager, but he also never took a class with me or anybody I knew.’
- ‘Couple that with a blond fright wig that can be found in the Halloween clearance aisle of Walgreen's and you've got yourself an award winning photo.’
- ‘My wife was positively gruesome with a witch outfit, long knobby nose, cackling laugh, a fright wig and blackened teeth.’
- ‘At any rate, they will probably be wearing fright wigs, rubber noses, and big floppy shoes.’
- ‘Whether Lyle uses a grotesque blond fright wig, a mock bridal veil, or white face paint, these devices enable him to realize the value of one symbol while balancing it with its opposite.’
- ‘Also appearing at the free event are Seventies glam rockers T-Rex, featuring original members Paul Fenton and Alan Silson from Smokie, who are set to play their first gig in the area since the decade of platform shoes and fright wigs.’
- ‘Amy is this beautiful girl, but she'd as soon wear goofy teeth and fright wigs.’
- ‘In Romania, I got to see a man play two saxophones at once, here I got to see orchestral players wear fright wigs and give each other high fives.’
- ‘Did you ever hear the story about why Dick's fright wig was only the back half of a wig?’
- ‘Get yourself a fright wig and a funny nose, Tiny.’
- ‘The initial altercation was between a Shriner and a Minneapolis attorney who wore a bright orange fright wig and a polka-dot bow tie.’
- ‘During the performance in which the four minstrels first stumble on their winning formula, their makeup, in addition to burnt-cork skin, features enormous mouths and three-pointed fright wigs.’
- ‘Jonah adjusted his black fright wig, squinted into the mirror and sighed.’
- ‘The sight of him dangling from the machinery with his fright wig and his oversized shoes is at once savagely comic and deeply shocking.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.