Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or produced by the action of one surface or object rubbing against or moving over another.‘frictional drag’
- ‘It also warned the user to avoid ‘generation of electrical, frictional, or electrode static sparks which can constitute an ignition source’.’
- ‘The standard frictional force law makes sense only if the two surfaces are identical crystals, fitting together at the atomic level like a pair of gears.’
- ‘Convergence also results from frictional effects at the surface.’
- ‘Students might enjoy researching some of the ways in which frictional forces are minimized in such sports.’
- ‘Of course due to frictional losses, from things like resistance in your apparatus, you would actually end up using up more energy to get the hydrogen than you would gain from using it as a fuel source.’
- ‘In mechanical systems, there is always a certain amount of energy lost as heat due to frictional processes and inelastic collisions between moving parts.’
- ‘Air resistance is a type of frictional force and it is worth considering some general points about friction first.’
- ‘To set the objects on the table into motion, the horizontal force acting upon them in this case is the frictional force between them and the table cloth.’
- ‘The pelvic fins are small and far behind the center of gravity, while the pectoral fins are too large to minimize frictional drag.’
- ‘‘Most swimsuits have tried to reduce frictional drag,’ Professor Pendergast said.’
- ‘The direction of the frictional force always opposes the direction of motion.’
- ‘The horribly complex equations cover two pages, with factors including angular momentum, frictional force, angular velocity, axis of symmetry and gyroscopic balance.’
- ‘Normally, the hull stays down in the water, with the frictional drag greatly limiting the speed of the boat.’
- ‘It would be nice for the students to discover the actual factors and how they effect frictional forces.’
- ‘This denser atmosphere means that the frictional force is greater, so its slows down more quickly, so the orbit decays more quickly.’
- ‘Do not add a finish, as it may adversely affect the frictional properties.’
- ‘Many systems, located on different parts of the body, involve surfaces with particular frictional properties.’
- ‘Neither the normal stress nor the frictional shear stress acting on the cone tip surface is uniformly distributed.’
- ‘Their removal may also be hampered by the amount of force required to overcome the initial frictional inertia between the glass and the cork.’
- ‘This is a result of a decrease in frictional drag due to removal of body hair.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.