Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A clutch in which friction between two moving surfaces is increased until they move in unison.
- ‘The two-coil type of magnetic clutch offers smoother operation than a pure friction clutch.’
- ‘The friction clutches for this and the right-ascension worm gear were made on my 6-inch metal lathe.’
- ‘Both friction clutches are mounted on the driving shaft.’
- ‘Machines coupled with friction clutches are protected from damage caused by peaks in torque, which can occur during operation or when switching.’
- ‘The inner hub of the friction clutch is normally located on the machine shaft with the aid of a keyway.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.