One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A clutch in which friction between two moving surfaces is increased until they move in unison.
- ‘The two-coil type of magnetic clutch offers smoother operation than a pure friction clutch.’
- ‘Both friction clutches are mounted on the driving shaft.’
- ‘The friction clutches for this and the right-ascension worm gear were made on my 6-inch metal lathe.’
- ‘The inner hub of the friction clutch is normally located on the machine shaft with the aid of a keyway.’
- ‘Machines coupled with friction clutches are protected from damage caused by peaks in torque, which can occur during operation or when switching.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.