A clutch in which friction between two moving surfaces is increased until they move in unison.
- ‘Machines coupled with friction clutches are protected from damage caused by peaks in torque, which can occur during operation or when switching.’
- ‘Both friction clutches are mounted on the driving shaft.’
- ‘The inner hub of the friction clutch is normally located on the machine shaft with the aid of a keyway.’
- ‘The friction clutches for this and the right-ascension worm gear were made on my 6-inch metal lathe.’
- ‘The two-coil type of magnetic clutch offers smoother operation than a pure friction clutch.’